Chapter 20

they were up early the next morning, and in the car before the sun rose. everyone was still sleepy, with only Catra fully awake to drive. the trunk was filled with their bags and other things they would need, Glimmer and Bow were curled up in the backseat, leaning against each other and sharing a blanket as they slept peacefully. the lyrics of a pop song played over the radio, quietened to keep from waking up the cars occupants. adora laid in the passenger seat, half dozing as she absently petted the dog in her lap. her head rested against the window, a blanket tucked firmly over her,with swiftwinds weight keeping it from falling. Catra was wide awake tapping to the beat of the song, occasionally humming to songs she knows as she drove, trying to keep herself awake. she would occasionally glance to her girlfriend in the passenger seat, worried on the fact that adora had yet to say anything since the incident last night. before she could even get any words out, her phone rang, sharp and loud in the quiet of the cra, and had ctra scrambling to answer to quiet it. "where are you going catra?" her mothers cold and firm voice came through the speakers, causing catra to flinch and look away from the curious eyes of her girlfriend. "nowhere mo- er ma'am.. its none of your business anyway." her mothers scoff echoed through the speakers, causing catra to shrink more in the drivers seat. "is that anyway to talk to me catra?! honestly not a ounce of respect from you, and i raised you. anyway it is my concern because you are my child, and I'M still paying your phone bill missy. Now. where are you going?"

"honestly away from you, now goodbye MOM!" catra snaps and ends the call with a growl. Adora squeaked softly at her anger before reaching over. "Catra? you okay....?" Catra moved her arm away before taking a breathe and gently grabbing adoras hand. "im aright love, i promise.. just my mom being my mom.. go back to sleep honey." adora raised her eyebrow but nodded holding catras hand like a lifeline, mainly for Catra's sake, before closing her eyes, leaning back into the window and falling back to sleep, swiftwind whimpers softly and nudges catra softly. Catra chuckles and pets him softly. "im alright boy dont worry.." "mmm... was that your mom catra?" bows voice echoed through the car as he struggled awake. "yea.. its all good now though, go back to sleep, ill let you know when we can switch okay?" bows eyebrow furrowed and he sat up, gently making sure the blanket still covered glimmer. "dont think i can, suns bright." catra chuckled and nodded. "well it is daytime now, i dont know what you expected. once everyone's up we can stop for some food, though we are still abut 4 hours out. should get there just after lunchtime." "sounds good, ill take over driving then, once we stop and eat." catra nodded, connecting eyes through the rearview mirror before they darted back down to the road.

"are you sure your good catra..?" bow whispered, eyes trained on the woman driving. "im fine bow.. just... im fine. besides we took this vacation to get a break, and thats what we are doing!" Catra stated with a smiled, chuckling when glimmer started groaning softly. "oop, girlfriends awake. sorry bout that..." bow just shook his head and turned to glimmer to coax her awake, and take the blanket off of her. "are we there yet..?" glimmer spoke, sluggishly and still tired, causing catra to laugh more. "nah, we aren't even at the halfway point, though we should stop for food." "and switch drivers!" bow added to the nod of catra. "yep, whatcha guys feel like?" glimmer and bow quieted to mumbles trying to find any goo breakfast places on the road, while catra turned to her own girlfriend in the front seat. she sighed softly not wanting to wake up adora, but knows she would want to eat, so she gently started shaking her, one hand on the wheel. it worked after a second, a soft groan confirmed. "good morning love.. we are figuring out what to eat now. "

Adora mumbles softly and stretches out the best she could rubbing her eyes. "whats for breakfast?" bow chuckled looking up to adora. "trying to figure that out now dora. what do you feel like?" adora shrugs, laughing as swiftwind adjusts himself on her lap. "i cant remember whats down this way honestly, so whatever yall want is fine." catra nodded, listening to both glimmer and bow arguing on a good food place and offering her input, if only to annoy one of them, laughing when one turned to her outraged. "cmon you two haha, lets find something before we starve to death." Adora stated shaking her head and slaps catras arm when she messed with them once more. "fine fine.. how about ihop? they have all sorts of things for breakfast." Glimmer said, pointling not looking at her boyfriend and catra. "sounds good, whats the directions?" Adora said, playing along with glimmer. "here's my phone, just follow that!" glimmer said handing it to adora, to hold for catra. "finally... lets go!" "hey catra.....? can i have aux for abit?" "ugh fine bow.. so long as you dont play your stupid songs." bow just nodded, then plugged in his phone, and as the beginning notes played for Fancy Like, adora perked up and started singing along side bow and glimmer, laughing with them as they moved.catra joined in on the chorus chuckling as the other three started screaming the chorus. the car was filled with them singing, the faint directions only heard by catra, as they finally pulled up.

"cmon guys lets go eat!" catra yelled over the music, turning of her car to the groans of the other three as the song was cut short. but they got out and started like hyperactive kids, racing towards the building with catra trailing behind. Adora had enough sense to wait for her outside of the building, looking tense, but still having a small smile plaster on her face. catra smiled and took her hand bringing her inside and preparing herself with breakfast with the two crazistes people.