Wine and Doubts

Can decided to put an end to whatever this was that Ezgi was doing so he texted her back:

Can:

Ezgi. Your text is really unexpected but there's nothing to talk about. I do wish you well.

Suddenly Can's phone rang and he hung his head as he read the caller ID.

Blowing out air through his mouth, he tried to decide what to do. He figured he might as well get it over with.

Can: Hello, Ezgi. 

Ezgi: Can! It's so so good to hear your voice. How are you?

Can: I'm doing great Ezgi. I, um, I'm trying to understand the purpose for the call and text, honestly.

Ezgi: Can, don't be like that. I know we didn't end things amicably but I think about you all the time. I meant it when I said that I missed you. I miss..well, us..I was wondering if I could come and visit? Like old times.

Can: Ezgi, I, I'm not sure what's going on but let me be as clear as possible. I don't want to accuse you of anything but I know that my interview came out recently and it might have peaked your interest in some way. Accept my apology if that's not the case but either way, there would be no reason for a visit and there's definitely no "old times" as far as you and I are concerned. I'm in a committed relationship so there really isn't any point.

Ezgi was stunned to have Can speak so bluntly to her. She knew that she probably deserved it after the way that she treated him but he had never spoken to her like that before. Of course, she had seen the interview. Who hadn't?? And yes, she was jealous about his public announcement of his feelings for this dancer and couldn't see what Can was doing with someone so beneath him.

Ezgi: Can, I don't know what I've done to deserve the way you're speaking to me right now. I just thought we could get together for drinks and dinner while I'm in Istanbul. Can't two friends do that? Or would your girlfriend be jealous? she said sarcastically.

Can: Ezgi, there is absolutely nothing that Sanem would need to be jealous of in you or any other woman. So I was right about you having seen the interview. You do know me fairly well so you know the kind of man that I am. I would never hurt Sanem in any way even if what you're proposing is innocent. I'd never give her a reason to doubt my devotion to her. So, again, I wish you well but I'll have to respectfully decline your invitation. Take care, Ezgi.

Pulling the phone away from her ear, she couldn't believe that she was listening to the dial tone, Can having ended the call. Devotion? Is he serious? To a dancer? She knew that she messed up when she let Can go and really thought that if they could see each other again, those old feelings would come back. 

It had been 6 months but she really did miss him. And there was no way she thought a dancer could compete with her but listening to him talk about this Sanem, she realized his feelings were true. She did know him well and the way he talked about her in the interview and now to her tonight, there was no chance. She would have to accept defeat. Can Yaman was in love. 

And it wasn't with her.

____________________

The dance group's performance was spectacular. They received 3 standing ovation and encores, especially when Baris brought Sanem out by the hand for a solo encore. The theatre erupted in applause. Can was incredibly proud of her and was over the moon that he could finally attend. He would wait until she changed and come out to the reception area to give her the beautiful bouquet of wildflowers he had brought for her.

Hugging each of her dance mates, Sanem was thrilled with how well they had been received. Marco was talking a mile a minute and couldn't stop hugging her. She kept a watchful eye out for Can in case he decided to come back there so he didn't get jealous. Marco was just a friend but he seemed to put Can on edge.