Devastation and Endings

Can gathered his strength and pulled back out into traffic, stopping quickly to pick them up some breakfast as promised and drove to Sanem's apartment, the thought of eating causing bile to rise in his stomach.

He had resolved to end this beautiful relationship for her sake to put an end to what was happening to her by the hands of the press and misguided fans. Because of his great love for her he would have to endure losing her.

But he hadn't taken into consideration how he would do it or how leaving her would cause her pain as well. He sat in the car in her parking lot not knowing what to do. Either way he would be hurting the woman he loved more than life.

Anger rose again and he sat there with his head in his hands until his phone pinged with a text from her asking if he was ok.

Answering yes, that he was close, Can slowly got out of the car and tried to walk to her door. His feet felt like lead as he walked. 

How could he hurt this beautiful woman? She didn't deserve any of this. How would he be able to lie to her face and tell her he wanted to end it? She would never believe him. 

A thought came to his mind and he stopped, walking back to his car and pulling out his phone. When Mamut answered, he was shocked to hear that Can wanted him to call the Italian producers and ask if the job was still available.

Can? Are you sure about this? What happened? I mean I'm happy about your decision but you can't say yes and then change your mind again. I just spoke with them yesterday, in fact. They said they were still willing to wait a little longer for you but I told them you had made up your mind, he answered. They would be thrilled to get that phone call this morning.

Good, Mamut. I'm sure. Tell them I can leave as soon as possible. I've got to go now but I'll call you later, he said, his voice breaking.

Mamut sat at his desk, staring at his phone. Something significant had to have happened. He didn't like the way Can sounded but he did as he had asked and called the producers. 

Buon giorno, Anthony, how are you doing? I'm well. I have some good news...

Can stood at Sanem's door. All feeling had left him. He was numb from head to toe. He slowly knocked on the door, surprised that Sanem opened it so quickly.

Can! I was starting to worry, she said, grabbing him around the waist and holding him tight.

He slowly lifted his arm to gather her close, and when her fragrance hit his nose, he closed his eyes, willing the tears not to flow.

She lifted her head and looked into his eyes, fearing what she saw there. She was gripped with  fear that he was angry about the photos. Had she embarrassed him? 

Canim, come, sit down, she said as she took the bag of food from his hands. 

He forced himself forward and then sat down next to her on the sofa, trying to avoid her intense gaze, his face devoid of feeling. 

Can, please let me explain about those awful photos, she said hurriedly.

He tried to listen to what she was saying but all he could think about was what he needed to do. My sweet Sanem, she thought this was about her and the pictures.

Stopping her mid-sentence, his voice rough with emotion, he said, Sanem, I'm not upset about those photos. I understand what happened. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I will call my lawyer and have him get in touch with you about suing the magazine. He will walk you through the process if that's what you would like to do. I think you should but it's your decision, he said.