#91 Steven Stamkos

"Centuries"- Fall Out Boy

******

'It's funny how dreams seem so real, so close, but when you're told you can't achieve them you just don't want to believe it. You don't want to accept that the exact thing you wanted is given to someone else, someone who might not know it's worth to you. But it's the truth, the hard truth that kills you as you see them happy as your dream is crushed over.

You just can't face failure. It hurts knowing that something you've worked so hard for has slipped through your fingers.'

"Steven?" 'But then there are those people that make you think you never lost anything in the first place. They treat you like you're the only one that matters to them, and you believe it.' "Steven!" 'You don't know what you'd do without them, and they are your world. The only thing you want in the world is them.'

"STEVEN STAMKOS WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!" (y/n) bursts into the bedroom with a worried look on her face.

"Yes babe?"

"What have you been doing?" She asks, frowning. "I've been calling you!" I wince and rub the back of my neck awkwardly.

"Oh, uh, just typing some stuff," I answer. She laughs.

"What kind of stuff, sweetheart?" I sigh.

"Uh--"

"You were journaling?!" (y/n) exclaims excitedly before I can close my computer. "You took my advice!" I blush and look down. She presses a kiss to my forehead. "Aww, don't be embarrassed, I write all the time." She hands me back my computer. "It's your personal stuff, I won't read it if you don't want me to."

"No, it's fine, it's just about the Cup again," I answer sadly. I begin to type again.

'To be a good man to (y/n) is the most important thing I've ever had to do in my life. Even more than being a good Captain for my team, I think. I am responsible for a woman that loves me, someone who would hopefully do anything for me. I know I'd do anything for her.'

"(y/n)!" I call, closing my computer for now. "What's for dinner?" She laughs.

"You didn't plan it?" Oh right. It's my turn to choose.

"Uh, how about pizza and a movie?" I ask, entering the living room, and (y/n) nods.

"I'll order it and go pick it up."

"No delivery?"

"Nah, I can do it." She picks up the phone, calling the pizzeria while I watch. She's so beautiful when she talks, and I love the way she'll joke with just about anyone. After the call (y/n) gets up.

"Where are you going? It won't be ready for--"

"Yeah I know, 20 minutes, but I just want to go for a drive."

"Be careful!" I warn, worried for her safety, as always. She laughs, which makes me smile too. (y/n) replies,

"You know I am!" She happily bounces out, and I go to work immediately. I may not have had any experience making a blanket fort but now's the time to try.

I light some little candles and put them around the house, but a special candle path leads from the door to the living room. I try and make sure that they won't set things on fire, but you never know what will happen with fire.

Blankets come off the bed in the guest room as I bring in kitchen chairs and arrange them into a fort-like structure. I make sure there's a way we can view the movie from inside the fort, and I'm just crawling in when I hear (y/n) at the door. "Babe I'm home!" She calls, opening the door. "What's all this?"

She follows the trail of candles to the fort, and squeals with delight. "Steven this is amazing!" She gasps, sliding he pizza in the fort.

"Come in," I call, and she crawls in.

"This is the best thing ever!" She exclaims. "I didn't know you could make a blanket fort!" I laugh,

"Me neither." We settle in and I push play on the remote. As the reboot Star Trek plays, her favorite movie, I look over at (y/n).

I can't believe how lucky I've gotten with her. She's beautiful, smart, funny, and she loves me. I couldn't ask for anything more. (y/n) proves that I don't need a Stanley Cup to have my dreams come true.