#4 Cam Fowler

"My Immortal"- Evanescence 

******

Years it's been. Years since she left me. It all happened in a blur, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. We were going great, and all of a sudden things went south. Literally and emotionally.

I was fresh out of high school and in what I thought would be a long-term relationship with (y/n). We'd been together since sophomore year, friends since the third grade. I thought she would be okay with me going off to Anaheim for hockey, but I guess I was wrong...

*Flashback*

I'm beyond excited, I'm-I'm ecstatic! I've been drafted into the NHL, and even though it's in a city far away I'm willing to go. (y/n) is at an interview for a college in Michigan, so she wasn't able to make it to the draft in Los Angeles. 

My phone has been buzzing non-stop with congratulations from family members and friends, but there's been nothing from (y/n). I decide to call her, nearly bouncing up and down with excitement. "Hi!" I nearly squeal once she answers, and I hear her giggle. Oh, what I would do without that melodious laugh I have no idea.

"Hey babe, what's up? How was the draft? Did you get picked?" 

"Yes!"

"Oh my goodness, Cam, that's amazing!" She exclaims, and my grin widens even further. "Who picked you? Toronto? Detroit?"

"Anaheim!" 

"Anaheim...like California?" She asks, immediately sounding deflated.

"Yeah! What's...what's wrong with Cali?" (y/n) sighs, answering,

"It's just...it's so far away, and I was gonna go to school at the University of Michigan..."

"Didn't you apply for USCLA?" I question. "Or was that me?"

"That was you, Cam. Nice try."

"Come on, babe, it's amazing here, I can't imagine the feeling of being in the actual NHL! It's in the state with some of the best places--especially beaches-- in the world! There's Hollywood, Disneyland, the Golden Gate Bridge--"

"Those aren't related to Anaheim anyway," she interrupts. "Listen, I gotta go."

"Bye--I love you, (y/n)!" She doesn't answer, and the line goes dead as I frown. 

"What's up?" My sister Payton asks, but I shrug it off. 

"Ah, nothing, I'm just really excited, and I called (y/n) to tell her the good news."

"Lemme guess, she wants you in Detroit?" I'm surprised, nodding. 

"Yeah..." I'll have to make a note to call her again later to straighten things out...

***

"No, you can't go to a team in California!" (y/n) insists. "I'd literally never get to see you, Cam, and you know how those long-distance relationships work. Or rather, how they don't work."

"Listen, baby, I know it's hard, but we can do it," I say encouragingly, clutching the phone tightly as I make my way to the gate where my plane is scheduled to take off from. "I know we can, I love you too much to let you down like that."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously what?" I question, confused. "What am I serious about?"

"The fact that you think we could do it. We're teenagers, Cam, we're 18. We can barely drive a car, never mind hold together a cross-country romantic relationship." I'm shocked by her reaction, asking quietly,