#87 Sidney Crosby

"Fire"- Gavin DeGraw

******

Everyone always thinks of me as the guy who can't keep a girl for more than a night. I believed them for the longest time, never attempting a relationship. I'd go club-hopping, picking up a different girl each night. But there was one who didn't seem to believe that I was hopeless.

(y/n) saw the goodness in me from the beginning, not just leaving the next morning but asking how I was. She actually cared about me, and I cared about her. There was something different about her. (y/n) was the sweetest person I've ever met.

After our "one-night stand" turned into three months of dating, I saw a change in my behavior. I didn't want to go out and get drunk all the time, and I never wanted anyone else but (y/n). When we lost, she encouraged me, and when we won, she was happy to celebrate with me. She was the greatest thing to ever happen to me.

As I think about her, the fateful night comes back to me in even more detail.

*Flashback*
"Yeah hun, I'll just be a couple minutes late," (y/n) says through the phone. "But don't worry, I'll see most of it."

"But baby, what if I score before you get here?" I ask, not willing to accept it.

"Then you can dedicate it to me, I'll be listening on the radio. I gotta go, it's raining pretty hard." I sigh, telling her,

"Bye (y/n)! I love you, so be safe!"

"Bye Sidney, I love you too!" I sigh again as I put my phone down.

"Come on dude, we gotta change," Fleury tells me. "She'll be fine." As we skate out, I see the spot where (y/n) usually sits across from our bench empty, and I frown. I know she won't be here for the first couple minutes, I tel myself, but she's coming soon. Don't worry. Everything will be okay.

Two periods pass and the seat is still vacant, and that's when I begin to get worried. "Guys, I don't know what happened to her!" I exclaim. "She was supposed to be here at the beginning of the first!" They all give me somber looks as Coach hands me the phone.

"This is for you." I take it.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is the Pittsburgh police department, am I speaking to Sidney Crosby?"

"You are, sir."

"I have been told that you know (y/n)(l/n)?"

"Yes sir, she's my fiancée." Tears begin to form at the corners of my eyes.

"I am very sorry to inform you that she has passed in a car accident." I say nothing, the tears streaming down my face. "I apologize for your loss."

"Thank you for informing me, sir," I reply, barely able to stop from sobbing.

"It is my duty, Mr. Crosby. If you wish to see her she is at the Pittsburgh Regional Hospital. I wish you well." As he hangs up I throw the phone across the room.

"She's dead!" I shout, falling to my knees. "Why is she dead?!"

*Flashback End*

I crouch down by her tombstone, holding the vows I had made for our wedding. We were supposed to get married in two months. Married.

The rain pours down just like it did the day she died, and the tears return. "Why did you leave me?" I whisper, putting the slip of paper back in my jacket. "I need you."