Chapter 40: The Last Hope

Author's POV

The night was peaceful. Ivy was granted leave for 7 days and she was spending that time leisurely with her nanna. She was soon forgetting the trauma caused by her that day due to whole kidnapping fiasco. Meanwhile, Ayan had already asked his men to search the whereabouts of Kareem but still no information was obtained yet. On one peaceful night, all the children and caretakers were already in their rooms, it was so cold and snowfall was predicted by the weather department. Ivy was with Myra and Myra was continuously pestering her and convincing her to go back to school the next day as her leaves were already over and that she will miss on her studies for taking further leaves.

Mra: Ivy, you have to go back to school tomorrow.

Ivy: No nanna, I want to stay with you. I'll take care of you. Please please let me stay with you. I'll request sister Samantha to let me stay. I don't want to go away from you.

Myra: But you need to study. Work hard and become a good person. Then we will live together. I'll leave this shelter home and stay with you. Then I'll take care of you as much you want. Now, be a good girl and go back to sleep. You have to wake up early tomorrow.

Ivy: Okay nanna, but promise me you'll stay with me forever and never leave me. I'll be good and I'll work hard.

Myra: Sure, I promise you. Now let's sleep.

Ivy: Nanna, since I agreed to you, can you please read me a bedtime story. I don't know when I will meet you after tomorrow.

With teary eyes, Myra laid beside Ivy and started narrating her a story. In between the story, they heard some muffled screams from outside. Since the weather was cold, everything was quite making the sounds clearer. Myra was alarmed as who would have come at this hour since it was already past midnight and they weren't expecting anyone. Myra immediately shushed Ivy and switched off the rooms light. Soon they heard voices of doors opening and closing and footsteps approaching towards their room. Myra immediately signaled Ivy to hide behind the closet and ducked under the bed herself. From where she was hiding, she was able to see the door.

She saw a man opening her room door and looking the room empty, he signaled other person to enter inside the room and shut the door behind them. She was beyond shocked as no man was allowed to enter the orphanage let alone the rooms for nuns. She remained hidden and she knew Ivy was also smart to understand to keep herself hidden.

Man1: Dude, I think we have searched all the rooms made for the sisters and we didn't find the girl anywhere. Do you think she is here? Are we on the right address?

Man2: We indeed are on right address and I don't think anyone know about our intrusion. Others will be here soon to lit up this place, we have to find that girl and leave from here as soon as possible. Boss said that nothing should happen to that girl.

Man 1: Yeah, we can't afford to disappoint him, I have heard that earlier they kidnapped a girl to lure our target out but the person in charge messed up and fled the scene. He was eventually fed to the dogs alive. We can't afford to fail. We must find this girl before the others come. Then we will fire this place and leave everyone to die.

Man 2: Yes, You have copies of her photo right? Give me one copy and let's split up and search for her. She must be somewhere in this place.

The first man took out a few photos from his pocket and gives one of them to the other person. In doing so, one copy of the photo flew away from his hand and landed on the floor. Unnoticed by both of them, they left the photo and walked outside the room shutting the door behind them.

As soon as they left, Myra came out from under the bed and ivy hugged her instantly. Myra picked up the photo and was shocked to see that it was her photo taken in the departmental store that day. She understood that those men were here for her and they were not the only ones here. Some other people were also coming to fire up this place. It was her home. She cannot let this happen. But who was this person and what do they want to do with her. It was definitely not Ayan as he saved Myra last time. If it would have been his doing, why would he have saved Ivy from those kidnappers? Since it was not him, it was obvious that her nightmare has returned. It must have been her long-lost terror, her once friend. She started shaking at the thought of him and Ivy tightened her hug after feeling her shakes.

Myra: No, there must be a way. I can't let this happen. These people have given me my home, my life. I won't let anything happen to them. But what should I do? Who will help me? She muttered.

Soon a name flashed in her mind. Only a powerful person like Ayan can help her now. But how? How should she reach her? Most importantly, since it was so quiet that even if she will talk to someone, she will be caught. She can run away from here and then call for help, but it will be too late as the others were also coming. If they will not find her here, they'll definitely set a fire to this place. She was not able to understand what she should do and suddenly an idea popped in her mind. She crouched down to Ivy's level and tell her in hushed voice.

Myra: Sweety, now listen to me, they are bad people, and they are going to hurt others. Now this is our family, and we have to protect them. Nanna will protect them, but will you help me? Will you help your nanna to help others?

Ivy: Nanna, I'm scared. What should I do?

Myra: Here baby, I'll give you a phone number and a letter. You remember Ayan uncle, right? I don't know if the number I have is still with him or no, but you first need to escape here from you rabbit hole hiding place in the yard. Then you need to go to the superstore nearby and ask someone to help you making a call. You will call on the number I'll give you. If Ayan uncle picks up the call, then its fine but if he doesn't, you have to call *911* and ask them to come fast to the orphanage for help, okay?

Ivy: But nanna, can't we both leave?

Myra also wanted to leave badly but she can't as she knew that the men were here for her and only, she can delay their plans of setting up fire to this place. So, she gained her strength and made an excuse.

Myra: Ivy, nanna is too big to go through that rabbit hole and bad uncles are there outside. They won't let nanna leave. You have to be brave Ivy and you have to protect us all.

Ivy: Okay nanna, I'll do as you say

Myra knew that she was making herself a pawn deliberately. She just wanted the place and the people living there safe. They were the ones who helped her when she needed the most. No she can't let anything happen to them because of her. Moreover, there were a lot of small children living here. She can't let this sin to happen. She scribbled something on a paper and put it inside a small pouch. Along with it, she give a small piece of paper with a phone number and a few dollars to Ivy. She then stealthily took Ivy in the yard and helped her escape from the orphanage. She hid herself and saw Ivy running out of the gates of the orphanage and away. Now all her hopes were with Ivy. The number she had given her was the Indian number Ayan used to carry. She remembered it as a bad memory earlier but now it was her only hope that Ayan would still have this number with her as even the police will not believe Ivy easily and come for the help on time. Although the chances were low since Ayan has relocated to England, she still hopes the number to be active and Ayan to pick up Ivy's phone.