Chapter 41: A Call for Help

It was a cold night and Ivy was very frightened. She was running towards nearby 24/7 store and she had only one thing in her mind, that is to save her family. She reached the store heavily panting and entered the store to find it empty except the cashier snoring on the cash counter. She was a small girl and barely reached the half of the counter. She stretched out her hand and called to the person sleeping.

Ivy: Hey brother, can I please make an international call. I have some money, I have to make an urgent call, please?

Ivy pleaded the man while taking out some coins given to her by Myra

Cashier: Sure girl, but why are you alone at this time, where is your guardian. I'm not looking for trouble here.

Ivy: Brother, I'm no trouble, I have come from the nearby shelter home and just want to make a call to an Indian number. My guardian will be here soon. Please take the money and make a call for me? Please...

Cashier: Sure, give me the number

Ivy handed over the number to him and he dialed the number on his landline and handed the receiver to Ivy. She was desperately waiting for the call to pick up, but it was just ringing and not being picked up. Just when she was about to hand over the receiver to the cashier, on the last ring, a person picked up the call and a deep a cold voice boomed from the other end of the phone.

Ayan's POV

I completed my last meeting of the day and went to my cabin to pack up for the day. I was exhausted today and just wanted to have a cold glass of wine to relieve my exhaustion. I went to the washroom to freshen up and when I was inside, I heard my phone ringing. Who might be calling me at this hour that too on the phone which has Indian number? It may be a call from India. I finished my business fast and jogged out of the washroom to pick up the call just before it was about to disconnect. It was not an Indian number, but I still picked up.

Ayan: Hello, who is it?

Ivy: Ayan uncle, it's me, Ivy, do you remember me?

Ayan: No, I don't, where the hell did you get my number.

I roared irritated as it was a voice of some child maybe someone is pulling prank on me. I was about to cut the call when a trembled voice replied from the other end.

Ivy: Please uncle, listen to me, I am the girl you saved from kidnapping a few days ago. I need your help urgently; I am waiting here for you, please save my family uncle. I seriously need help, everyone in the shelter home is in danger, they are about to fire up the whole shelter home.

Ayan: Ohh, I remember you, but Ivy I'm not the police, go to the police if you need help with something like this, I'm busy now, okay? If you want, I can contact the police on your behalf, just give me the address. That's the most I can do for you right now.

Ayan was hell tired and just wanted to go home. Listening Ivy's trembling voice and remembering her innocent face, he offered to help her by contacting police, but he didn't want to involve himself in any such matter which can be easily dealt with by the police right now. It may be just some promotional stunt by the orphanage to raise donations. But where did that little girl get my number from? This number is not with many people only my closed ones. And I have been still using this number in the hopes that maybe someday I'll receive some information about my girl on this phone as she used to have this number of me with her and I forced her to memorize this number. I was about to ask her when I heard her responding.

Ivy: Okay uncle, sorry for disturbing you, nanna said that if you didn't pick up the call or didn't agree to help, then I should contact police uncle. I don't have time, so, I'll be contacting police uncle now. Thank you for your time, bye.

And this time, she cut the call and handed back the receiver to the cashier. I requested her again to call the police. He was already listening to the conversation and volunteered to ask.

Cashier: Girl, are you really going to call the police, Is someone really in danger?

Ivy wasn't able to control her tears and started crying bitterly, she nodded her head and to her luck, the cashier immediately asked her to sit and that he will call the police and ask them to come here. But as he was about to pick up the receiver, the phone started ringing and he picked up instantly.

Cashier: Hello, 24/7 convenience store, how may I help you?

Ayan: A girl called me just now on this number. Is she still there? If she is, put her on the line right now.

Cashier: Sure dude, but it looks like she really is in trouble, she is crying, and I was just going to call police for her. Just make the call quick so that I can call the police sooner.

And he handed over the phone to Ivy

Ayan: Ivy, tell me honestly, what is your nanna's name?

Ivy: Her name is Myra, I don't know the full name. Uncle, I seriously need your help right now. Nanna is a good person, she is the best person I have ever known, please don't complain about her. If you want, don't help us, I am anyway contacting police, but Nanna is innocent. She just thought you might help us and so asked me to call you.

Little Ivy thought that Ayan was asking her nanna's name to complain about her because she asked her to call him for help. Little did she know that Ayan's whole world turned upside down hearing this. Myra, is she really my Myra. It is the possibility since she knew my not so common number. His hands began trembling and voice shaking. He asked her the location.

Ayan: Ivy, don't contact anyone and stay right there, I'll be there in 5 minutes, okay. I'll save your family.

Ivy: I'm waiting uncle, please come soon...