CHAPTER 19

Chapter 19

Just like what ma'am Lyka told me earlier, dean asked to have a private conversation with me after my last class. At ngayon, sobrang lakas ng kabog ng dibdib ko habang naghihintay na matapos ang usapan nila ng katawagan niya.

I was sitting on the visitor's chair in front of her table, shaking my knees while playing with my own fngers. She excused herself earlier to answer the call and she's taking a bit long outside.

I snapped when the door opened. I was about to stand up to show respect when she stopped me and told me to just sit. Pumunta na siya sa swivel chair niya at doon naupo.

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, medyo napahaba lang yung diskusyon." She said, pertaining to the call.

"Okay lang po." Magalang kong saad. I was really shaking, but I tried so hard to look and sound normal.

"So, ma'am Ella," ipinatong niya ang braso niya sa nesa at pinagsiklop ang mga daliri. "Didiretsuhin na kita. I was shocked by the result of your evaluation. Really. I wasn't expecting it at all." Halata nga sa boses ni dean.

I nodded in agreement.

"This is the first time that you had a low rating from the students. Marami kaming nagulat, actually. Hindi namin 'yon inexpect mula sa'yo. Because you've been a really good, inspiring, and active professor since then." Instead of being strict and intimidating me, she looks like she's with me.

I looked down, both in embarrassment and confusion. Just like them, I was confused too. Alam ko sa sarili ko na ginagawa ko ang lahat para maging maayos at epektibong guro.

Dean sighed. "Ang nakalagay naman sa evaluation sa'yo ng mga bata ay hindi ka raw masyadong pumapasok o nagtuturo last sem, minsan daw mukhang tinatamad ka pa. But I don't see what they see. I always roam around the whole department and observe every class, and I could see that your students are learning. I may not be able to monitor you each class, pero sapat na ang grades ng mga naging estudyante mo para makita kong natuturuan mo nang maayos ang mga bata. These past few weeks na absent ka, naiintindihan ko naman ang nangyari kaya walang kaso sa akin 'yon."

She held my hand that made me look at her. "I will let it slide this time. But always remember that our top priority in this school is our students. Pag nangyari pa ulit 'to, I don't know what I can do anymore."

I sighed in relief and gripped on her hand tight. "Thank you, thank you po, ma'am. I won't waste the chance you gave, I promise."

She smiled and nodded. "Thank you, ma'am Ella. I believe in you."

Umalis ako sa department na magaan ang dibdib. Mabuti na lang talaga at mabait si dean sa amin. She's even more kind and understanding than the other professors who act like superior here, honestly.

Pupuntahan ko muna yung apartment na balak kong lipatan para i-check kung available pa ba. Magpapasama sana ako kay Nads kaya lang may klase pa siya.

While I was walking outside the campus, I felt like someone is following me for a couple of minutes now. I was taking a glance behind me just to check if I wasn't just being overreacting again. Wala pa naman si Ken ngayon.

Kinuha ko ang phone ko at agad na tinawagan si Ken. He wasn't answering again, siguro nagpapahinga. Binilisan ko na lang ang paglalakad ko. I used the footbridge to get to the other side of the road where the apartment is located. I kept calling him again and again especially when I felt that person was still following me. Shit. I think I have to reschedule checking the apartment again.

Nagmamadali akong bumaba sa kabilang side, may mga tao sa paligid kaya hindi naman siguro ako nito susugurin. Tangina, Ken, sumagot ka na, please.

"Ma'am,"