percy the widow

Maisie didn't sleep the rest of the night, and she felt the effects of it

Maisie didn't sleep the rest of the night, and she felt the effects of it. The exhaustion was weighing heavy.

She'd cleaned herself of all the dirt and grime on her skin, but it just showcased how gruesome her burns really were. Thankfully, Leo's shirt hid the one on her ribs. She also kept the red arm sleeve tied to hide her charred wrist.

"I swear you weren't missing a hand yesterday," Enrique said, as he handed her the money for her train ticket.

"You shouldn't ask about people's missing limbs," Maisie replied. "It's insensitive."

Enrique nodded. "Fair enough. You got your id?"

"Yeah." She looked down at her fake school id card and recited the lines she had rehearsed. "My name is Molly, and I attend Texas Highschool Tech Institute for all my technological interests."

He grinned. "Perfecto."

"Well," Leo said to Todd as he turned off the engine of the newly repaired truck, "no turbo boosters, as you requested. A little boring if you ask me, but it's done."

"Nice work," Todd said, dusting off his hands. He reached into his pocket and handed Leo a twenty, trying to be nonchalant about it. It maybe wasn't a lot for the amount of work the younger boy did, but considering Leo had been expecting nothing, he didn't complain and just smiled, before tucking the bill into his tool-belt.

"You got the money for your ticket?" Leo asked

Maisie nodded, feeling her stomach jump as she came to terms with the fact that she was actually going back.

"And Enrique told you the way to the station?"

She nodded again and repeated the directions Enrique had spent way too long trying to drill into her head. But she still flubbed them up while relaying them to Leo.

"I'm starting to see how you got lost, hermosa."

Maisie threw her arms out dramatically. "Just tell me them again."

Enrique pulled out the map once again.

After a few more minutes, Maisie said, "Okay, got it. Right, Left, Right, Right, Left."

"Okayyy," Enrique said slowly. "You need to know where to make the turns though. Right on Dewberry St, left on Eastwood, right on Vanderford, right on Indigo, left on Newbrook."

"Devin. Got it."

Enrique raised an eyebrow at her. "Uhm, I'm Enrique."

Todd laughed crudely, opening to fridge to grab a drink. "Don't tell me she forgot your name now too."

Typically, Maisie didn't care too much about how she was perceived by strangers. She didn't know if it was just because she was tired, or emotionally drained, but the comment bothered her more than she cared to admit.