i call shotgun!

Artemis assured them that dawn was coming, but it was getting colder and darker and snowier by the minute

Artemis assured them that dawn was coming, but it was getting colder and darker and snowier by the minute. Up on the hill, Westover Hall's windows were completely lightless.The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they'd set it up. Percy stood shivering in the snow, next to Maisie, who wasn't shivering nearly as bad.

"How are you warm?" Percy asked her.

"I'm fucking freezing, dude."

Percy shook his head and inched closer. "You feel like a space heater."

Maisie rolled her eyes when Percy's side subconsciously leaned into her. She wrapped an arm around him to help him keep warm.

Percy noticed the Huntresses eyeing them distastefully, making him flush.

Artemis stared into the east like she was expecting something. Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. Percy could tell from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt. He couldn't help but think of how selfish it was of her, to abandon her brother like that.

"So, Artemis did ask her?" Maisie said to Percy, pretty much already knowing the answer.

Percy nodded. "I tried to talk her out of it." He half expected Maisie to go on a rant about it. The girl probably should've had the most to say on the matter, considering everything she'd been through with her own siblings.

But Maisie just nodded, gazing at the brother and sister, and said, "It's a sad situation."

Percy silently agreed on that.

Thalia and Grover came up and huddled around them, anxious to hear what had happened in Percy's audience with the goddess. When He told them, Grover turned pale. "The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well."

"How'd they even show up here?" Percy wondered. "I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere."

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said, disgusted. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck-up, no good—"

"Who can blame her?" Grover said. "Eternity with Artemis?"  He heaved a big sigh.

Thalia rolled her eyes. "You satyrs.  You're all in love with Artemis. Don't you get that she'll never love you back?"

"But she's so...into nature," Grover swooned.

Maisie chose not to point out the fur pelts all of the Hunters were holding.

"You're nuts," said Thalia.

"Nuts and berries," Grover said dreamily. "Yeah."

Finally the sky began to lighten. Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked.

"For my brother. Yes."

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth.