maisie sees the light. and its pretty mediocre

At sunset, the taxi dropped them at the beach in Santa Monica

At sunset, the taxi dropped them at the beach in Santa Monica. There were carnival rides lining the Pier, palm trees lining the sidewalks, homeless guys sleeping in the sand dunes, and surfer dudes waiting for the perfect wave.

The four of them walked down to the edge of the surf.

"What now?" Annabeth asked.

Percy stepped into the surf.

"Percy?" Maisie called.

But the boy just kept walking, the water coming up to his waist, then to his chest.

"Perce!" Maisie called again. "You good?"

Annabeth looked at him confused. "You know how polluted that water is? There's all kinds of toxic—"

That's when Percy's head went underwater.

"...Ok then," Maisie said choosing to sit on the sand and wait for Percy to do...whatever he was doing.

Grover and Annabeth sat next to Maisie as she began drawing her name in the sand with a stick. 

"Have you had any more dreams about the Underworld?" Annabeth asked her.

"No, why?"

"Well, Percy said he has, and we just...can't seem to make sense of them."

They filled her in on the fact that Percy was still thinking of that pit, and a faceless voice, that was seemingly working for someone powerful. Annabeth claimed this powerful someone had to be Hades, but even she didn't seem too convinced by that.

"I've been thinking about that too," Maisie said. "I mean...the Furies said 'where is it,' right? And if they meant an object, I can only assume they meant the bolt." She looked at Annabeth, but the daughter of wisdom did not confirm or deny.

But Maisie continued anyway. "But if Hades has the bolt, why would they be asking us for it?"

Neither Grover nor Annabeth responded. Maisie figured these questions were already discussed while she was sleeping earlier.  But that didn't put her at ease. Everyone seemed nervous about the prospect of the Underworld not holding the solution to their quest.  The problem was, they were already so close. If they were wrong, if the answers were actually somewhere else, well...There wouldn't be time to fix it. The solstice was hours away.

Plus, Percy's mom was still in the Underworld. They couldn't change course now.

Maisie pulled off her shoes and left them in the sand next to Annabeth.  She walked down the water and dipped her toes in, letting her feet be buried by the surf and wet sand.

Percy started to walked out of the water a minute later. 

Naturally, Maisie kicked water at him, momentarily forgetting that he was the son of the sea god.