seas the day

Maisie sat on the ground hugging her knees, playing fetch with Cerberus using a large skeleton bone

Hypnos had returned from delivering Sally Jackson home about two hours ago. Or it felt like two hours at least. Maisie wasn't sure if time moved differently in the underworld.

Hypnos informed the girl that he put Percy's stepdad, Smelly Gabe, to sleep, as requested by Sally. So she would have a few hours before she had to deal with her horrible husband.

"So...Hades—"

"I do not wish to make small talk, godling."

That was the 3rd time he'd shut her down.

"Oh, c'mon," Maisie said, "If I'm gonna be stuck down here, I need someone to talk to. Adhd, remember?"

"Talk to your father."

"He's sleeping," Maisie said, gesturing to Hypnos who had fallen asleep at the bench, his legs propped up next to him, snoring lightly.

"Of course he is," Hades rolled his eyes.

"Sooo," Maisie said, trying to think of a topic. "What's Poseidon like?"

"Idiotic," Hades said flatly.

"How bout Zues?"

"A dick."

Maisie snorted. "I take it it's complicated between you three."

"Why must you insist on asking about my family, child?"

"Hey, I don't usually like talking about my family either. But I got nothing else to work with here," Maisie said.

"I am not here to entertain you. You are supposed to be entertaining my dog."

"Cerberus is tiring out."

It was true. The three headed dog was still retrieving and returning the bone, but he was panting harder and becoming less hyper.

"What celebrities made it to Elysium?"

Hades groaned at her never-ending questions.

"Do you mind shutting your trap, godling? I'm busy."

"Busy doing what?"

"Thinking about how I'm going to kill you."

Maisie shook her head. "Deals a deal. You gotta wait until the solstice. Then you can torture me or whatever."

"I'm counting down the minutes."

Cerberus returned the bone to her again, but after he dropped it, he laid down on his belly, and fell asleep at her feet.

Maisie leaned over and patted one of his massive heads.

"Well," Hades said. "That should satisfy him for a decade or so."