percy yeets maisie off national monument

They set up camp in the woods, a hundred yards from the main road, in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties

They set up camp in the woods, a hundred yards from the main road, in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties. The ground was littered with beer bottles and fast-food wrappers.

They decided to sleep in shifts. Percy volunteered to take first watch. Annabeth curled up on the blankets and was snoring as soon as her head hit the ground. Grover fluttered with his flying shoes to the lowest branch of a tree, put his back to the trunk, and up stared at the night sky. Maisie sat nearby and was tying blades of grass into knots.

"Go ahead and sleep," Percy told the other two. "I'll wake you if there's trouble."

Grover didn't close his eyes. "It makes me sad, guys."

Maisie lifted her head to look at him.

"What does?" Percy said. "The fact that you signed up for this stupid quest?"

"No. This makes me sad." He pointed at all the garbage on the ground. "And the sky. You can't even see the stars. They've polluted the sky. This is a terrible time to be a satyr."

"Oh, yeah. I guess you'd be an environmentalist."

Grover glared at Percy. "Only a human wouldn't be. Your species is clogging up the world so fast...ah, never mind. It's useless to lecture humans. At the rate things are going, I'll never find Pan."

"Pam? Like the cooking spray?"

Maisie face palmed.

"Pan!" Grover cried indignantly. "P-A-N. The great god Pan! What do you think I want a searcher's license for?"

A strange breeze rustled through the clearing, temporarily overpowering the stink of trash and muck. It brought the smell of berries and wildflowers and clean rain-water, things that might've once been in the woods they were resting in.

"Tell me about the search," Percy said.
Grover looked at him cautiously, as if he were afraid he was just making fun.  Maisie scotched closer to indicate she wanted to listen as well.

"The God of Wild Places disappeared two thousand years ago," Grover told them. "A sailor off the coast of Ephesos heard a mysterious voice crying out from the shore, 'Tell them that the great god Pan has died!' When humans heard the news, they believed it. They've been pillaging Pan's kingdom ever since. But for the satyrs, Pan was our lord and master. He protected us and the wild places of the earth. We refuse to believe that he died. In every generation, the bravest satyrs pledge their lives to finding Pan. They search
the earth, exploring all the wildest places, hoping to find where he is hidden, and wake him from his sleep."

"And you want to be a searcher?" Maisie asked.

"It's my life's dream," Grover said. "My father was a searcher. And my Uncle Ferdinand...the statue you saw back there—"

"Oh, right, sorry," Percy said.

Grover shook his head. "Uncle Ferdinand knew the risks. So did my dad. But I'll succeed. I'll be the first searcher to return alive."