well, they do say love is friendship set on fire...

It wasn't long before the tunnel started to get hot

The stone walls glowed. The air felt as if they were walking through an oven. The tunnel sloped down and Maisie could hear a loud roar, like a river of metal. The spider skittered along, with Annabeth right behind.

The roaring got louder. After another half mile or so, the three emerged in a cavern the size of a Super Bowl stadium. The spider escort stopped and curled into a ball, indicating they had arrived at the forge of Hephaestus. There was no floor, just bubbling lava hundreds of feet below.

Annabeth, Maisie, and Percy stood on a rock ridge that circled the cavern. A network of metal bridges spanned across it. At the center was a huge platform with all sorts of machines, cauldrons, forges, and the largest anvil ever—a block of iron the size of a house.

Creatures moved around the platform—several strange, dark shapes, but too far away to make out details.

Annabeth picked up the metal spider and slipped it into her pocket. "I'm gonna go scope. You two wait here."

Percy and Maisie didn't even get out a 'Huh?' before Annabeth put on her Yankees cap and turned invisible. Percy wiped the sweat off his brow as he glanced back at the Labyrinth tunnel, already missing Grover and Tyson.

Maisie peered down at the anvil in the center of the forge. "They're making something," she whispered, pointing at the creatures who were hitting some sort of weapon on the anvil with their hammers.

Percy followed her line of sight. "Let's check it out." He started to creep along the outer rim of the lava lake, leaving Maisie with no choice but to follow. Percy lifted his chin high, hoping to get a better angle to see what creatures were there in middle. And what they were making.

It kinda just hit Maisie then that they were in a volcano. The heat was intense. Her eyes stung from the smoke, her skin tingled. They moved along, trying to keep away from the edge, until they found their way blocked by a cart on metal wheels, like the kind they use in mine shafts. Percy lifted up the tarp and found it was half full of scrap metal.

"Bring it in?" a voice asked, from a nearby side tunnel.

"Yeah," another said. "Movie's just about done."

Maisie dove towards another side tunnel, praying the monsters weren't paying attention and didn't see her bolt. She looked at Percy, ushering him to hurry.

But Percy panicked when he heard the voices only a few feet away now. They might see him if he darted towards the tunnel. So he hid. In the mine cart.

He shoved the tarp away before scrambling up and in, pulling the covering back over himself and the scrap metal he was now sitting on.

Maisie pressed her back against the tunnel wall and held her breath as the two creatures began to pull the rope that was attached to the front of the cart, dragging it with them. One of them asked, "What's this movie they're watching?"