error: friends not found

"Can't this thing go any faster?" Thalia demanded

Zoë glared at her. "I cannot control traffic."

"You both sound like my mother," Percy muttered.

"Shut up!" they said in unison.

Percy and Maisie shared a look. The two sat in the back of the convertible, the wind whipping at their hair. Zoë weaved in and out of traffic on the Golden Gate Bridge. The sun was sinking on the horizon when they finally got into Marin County and exited the highway.

The roads were insanely narrow, winding through forests and up the sides of hills and around the edges of steep ravines. Zoë didn't slow down at all.

"Why does everything smell like cough drops?" Maisie asked.

"Eucalyptus." Zoë pointed to the huge trees all around them.

"The stuff koala bears eat?" Percy asked.

"And monsters," she said. "They love chewing the leaves. Especially dragons."

"Dragons chew eucalyptus leaves?"

"Believe me," Zoë said, "if you had dragon breath, you would chew eucalyptus too."

Percy didn't question her, but he did keep his eyes peeled more closely as they drove. Ahead of them loomed Mount Tamalpais. In terms of mountains, it was a small one, but it looked plenty huge as they were driving toward it.

"So that's the Mountain of Despair?" Percy asked.

"Yes," Zoë said tightly.

"Why do they call it that?"

She was silent for almost a mile before answering. "After the war between the Titans and the gods, many of the Titans were punished and imprisoned. Kronos was sliced to pieces and thrown into Tartarus. Kronos's right-hand man, the general of his forces, was imprisoned up there, on the summit, just beyond the Garden of the Hesperides."

"The General," Maisie said, trying to apply this new to memory. Clouds seemed to be swirling around its peak, as though the mountain was drawing them in, spinning them like a top. "What's going on up there? A storm?"

Zoë didn't answer. Maisie got the feeing she knew exactly what the clouds meant, and she didn't like it.

"We have to concentrate," Thalia said. "The Mist is really strong here."

The gray clouds swirled even thicker over the mountain, and they kept driving straight toward them. They were out of the forest now, into wide open spaces of cliffs and grass and rocks and fog.

Percy happened to glance down at the ocean as they passed a scenic curve, and he saw something that made him jump out of his seat. "Look!" But they turned a corner and the ocean disappeared behind the hills.