fun at the abusement park

It took less than 10 minutes for Maisie to feel okay enough to walk again

It took less than 10 minutes for Maisie to feel okay enough to walk again. Her limbs were still shaking from almost dying, lack of food, and lack of sleep. Not a good combo.

It was June 14. seven days before the solstice. Their train rolled into Denver.

"Let's try to contact Chiron," Annabeth said.

"We can't use phones right?" Percy asked.

"Not talking about phones."

They wandered through downtown for about a half hour. Maisie had no idea what Annabeth was seemingly searching for. Finally, they came across a do-it-yourself car wash. It was empty.

"Uhm, what exactly are we doing?" Percy questioned.

"You'll see. Got any more change Percy?" Grover asked.

Percy handed him a few quarters.

"Excellent," Grover said. "We could do it with a spray bottle of course, but the connection isn't as good."

"What are we talking about?" Maisie asked.

"I'M'ing," Grover answered.

"Instant messaging?" Percy said.

"No. Iris-messaging," Annabeth corrected. "The rainbow goddess Iris carries messages for the gods. If you know how to ask, and if she's not too busy, she'll do the same for half-bloods."

"You summon the goddess with a spray bottle?" Percy had to ask.

"Unless you know an easier was to make a rainbow," Grover said.

"If you drink spoiled milk you'll see rainbows," Percy said.

The late afternoon light filtered through the vapor, and broke out into colors.

"Who's got a Drachma?" Annabeth asked.

Maisie handed over one of hers.

Annabeth raised the coin over her head. "O goddess, accept our offering." She threw the drachma into rainbow and it disappeared in a golden shimmer. "Half-Blood Hill," Annabeth requested.

They looked through the mist and saw strawberry fields. Standing with his back towards the railing was a sandy-haired guy in shorts and an orange tank top. He was holding a sword and staring intently at something down in the meadow.

"Luke!" Percy called.

He turned, eyes wide. "Percy!" His scarred face broke into a grin. "Maisie! Thank the gods. And is that Annabeth with you too? Are you guys okay?"

"We're—uh—fine," Annabeth stammered, the way she always did she Luke was around. She was madly straightening her dirty t-shirt, trying to look presentable. "We thought Chiron—I mean—"

"He's down at the cabins," Luke's smile faded. "We're having some issues with the campers. Listen, is everything cool with you? Is Grover alright?"

"I'm here," Grover called. He held the nozzle out to one side and stepped into Luke's line of vision. "What kind of issues?"