introducing the council of clovers

The cab ride felt awkward

The cab ride felt awkward. Percy couldn't figure out why.

Maisie sat looking out the window, pulling at the hem of her frilly socks.

After relaying the words that Kelli, the empousa, had said, about camp going up in flames, and all Percy's friends being enslaved, the two teens decided it was probably best to head back to camp.

Percy glanced at Maisie from across the back of the taxi. Her blue short sleeve dress left her pale arms bare. They looked more toned than they had last summer. She always seemed to have some trouble gaining muscle (although she never actually worked that hard at it) but Percy guessed that holding up the sky could have results on anyone.

She looked seriously pretty. He wanted to tell her so too. But all that came out was, "So, any word on Grover?"

"I haven't spoken to him yet," she said. "But Annabeth's been back at camp since Christmas. She says Grover's there. We'll see him today, hopefully."

"Did he have any luck? I mean, with the search for Pan?"

"I'm not sure," she admitted. "But he has a girlfriend. Annabeth told me."

Percy blinked. "Oh." He tried to imagine that. He'd seen Grover fawn over the Hunters of Artemis, and like...berry bushes before.

The city melted away until they were off the expressway and rolling through the countryside of northern Long Island, past orchards and wineries and fresh produce stands.

Percy examined the seashell bracelet on his wrist. Subsequently staring at the phone number Rachel Elizabeth Dare had scrawled on his hand.

"So how was your new school?" he asked.

Maisie tilted her head in debate. "Ermmm, alright."

"That bad, huh?" Percy guessed.

"I was labeled a homewrecker my second day," she said lightheartedly.

Percy tried not to laugh at the absurdity of that. "What?"

The taxi exited on Route 25A, and Maisie said, "I'll tell you later." They headed through the woods along the North Shore until a low ridge of hills appeared on their left, then they hiked to the crest of the hill. The young guardian dragon was dozing, coiled around the pine tree, but he lifted his coppery head as they approached and let Maisie scratch under his chin.

Below, Camp Half-Blood looked peaceful— green fields, forest, shiny white Greek buildings. The Big House sat proudly in the midst of the
strawberry fields. To the north, past the beach, the Long Island Sound glittered in the sunlight.

Annabeth looked up from her spot on the porch. "You're back early," she said suspiciously. She looked at Percy's shirt, that still had ash and monster dust on it. "What happened?"

Percy relayed the story of the empousa named Kelli. And how he ran into a girl that could see through The Mist.

"Wait a minute," Annabeth said, holding up her hand. "You've met this girl before?"