welcoming two orphans to camp

The first time Maisie woke, she realized she was in a comfortable bed

The first time Maisie woke, she realized she was in a comfortable bed. She couldn't muster the strength to turn her head to check her surroundings, but in her line of sight, she saw the same pretty girl she saw earlier enter the room. The girl's eyes widened when she saw that Maisie was conscious. She began to speed-walk over to her, but Maisie fell asleep before she got there.

The next time she opened her eyes she saw an older boy with blonde hair leaning in the doorway. What was most noticeable, was a long thin scar that ran vertically over his eye and down the right side of his face. He was looking at her strangely. But before she could give the look he was giving her a name, she passed out again.

When she finally came to for good, Grover was the first face she saw.  He was entering the room carrying with him a shoebox, her backpack, and some bottles of medicine.  His eyes widened when he saw her and he dropped everything he was carrying and trotted over to her side.

"You're awake!"

Maisie nodded and sat up slightly.  She gently held her pounding head, and felt a thick bandage wrapped around it.

"Oh styx," Grover mumbled. "I dropped the nectar, lemme grab Will, he'll have more, be right ba-"

Maisie couldn't make out the rest of his sentence because he had already sprinted away.  She swung her legs to hang off the side of the bed so she wouldn't be tempted to fall back asleep.  She finally spotted Percy in the cot next to her.  He slept peacefully with a bit a drool hanging out the side of his open mouth.  The events of the other day caught up with her, and her eyes turned sad.  Percy would wake up to having no mom.  Maisie tugged on her fingers and cracked her knuckles, wishing she had her rings to play with like she always did when she was anxious.  She mentally scolded herself for her lack of quick thinking during the fight.  A rock? That's really the best you could come up with? Surely there must of been something more you could have done, she thought. 

Grover's return brought her out of her head.  She saw a smaller figure behind him and tilted her head to get a better view.  There was a short boy with fluffy blonde hair, and big blue eyes. His round cheeks were freckled and sun kissed.

"Good to see you're finally up," he smiled, revealing a missing front tooth. "Pretty bad head injury you had there," he pointed to her bandages. "But no brain damage or anything like that. You hit your neck as well tho, so it might feel harder keeping your head up, but I'm gonna give you something that'll hopefully help."  He went to her beside table and started mixing two different medicines. 

Maisie gave Grover a questioning look.

"This is Will," Grover explained. "He helped heal and take care of you."

Maisie's eyebrows rose slightly. "He looks 8 years old," she whispered to Grover.  Or at least she thought she whispered. Her hearing was still a little wonky.