gaslighting 101

As the days went on, it seemed less likely that the whole school had come together to play a practical joke on Percy and Maisie

As the days went on, it seemed less likely that the whole school had come together to play a practical joke on Percy and Maisie. So that left only a few explanations.
1) they were crazy. delusional. deranged. and had hallucinated the entire thing
2) .....Ok...so maybe Percy couldn't really think of any other explanation.

He didn't know what he would do without Maisie. He figured if he was slowly losing his mind it was nice to be losing it alongside his bestfriend.

Maisie and Percy knew Grover was lying. Maisie said her great intuition never steered her wrong. Percy had rolled his eyes and said her intuition had nothing to do with it. Grover was just a terrible liar.

Percy continued to have nightmares about the museum. In his last one, he had dashed infront of Maisie with full confidence and tried to stab the Fury with a ballpoint pen. Not a sword. The Fury easily snapped the pen between her talons. Percy's last memory of the dream was the look on Maisie's face which he read as 'a pen Perce, really? thanks a lot.' He thankfully woke up right before they were inevitably killed or eaten or whatever the monster had intended to do to them.

Percy had become crankier than normal. He noticed Maisie's positivity but he could tell most of it was fake. The dark circles under her eyes were worse than Percy had ever seen them. This only made him more irritable, and he started picking a lot more fights.

The three friends had been on their way to class when Nancy Bobofit roughly bumped her shoulder into Maisie. Luckily Grover steadied her before she could fall, but Percy lost it. He ripped Grover's cap off of his curly head and chucked it as hard as he could at the back of Nancy's head. Which apparently was pretty hard because she fell flat on her face.

His grades had also plummeted, but the final straw had been in English when Mr. Nicoll asked him why he was too lazy to study for the test. He called the teacher an old fart, earning a loud laugh from Maisie at the back of the class. She however, was not laughing later when Percy told her that he was not allowed to return to Yancy Academy next year.

Maisie's feelings were slightly hurt when Percy expressed how much he did not care that he would not be returning next year. She tried not to take it personally, she knew Percy didn't mean it that way, but she was afraid that his expulsion would mean the end of their friendship. And that made her sadder than she would ever like to admit.

"You have to take care of Grover when I'm gone," Percy said to Maisie while the two were in her dorm room trying to study for their Guide to Greek Mythology final. Yes, Percy visiting her dorm this late was still not allowed, but the threat of expulsion seemed much less threatening now that she knew Percy wouldn't be attending next year.

"Grover and I will be fine." Maisie waved him off, not looking up from her textbook.  If Percy could act like he wasn't going to miss her then she would force herself to do the same.

"You will?" Percy asked from his place on the floor, sounding dejected.

"Yup." Maisie replied still not looking up.