grover and maisie play irl mario kart

The van was crossing the Potomac when Percy spotted the helicopter

The van was crossing the Potomac when Percy spotted the helicopter. It was a sleek, black military model just like the one he'd seen at Westover Hall. And it was coming straight toward them.

"They know the van," he said. "We have to ditch it."

Zoe swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully.

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy said. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

"Mercenaries," Zoe said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" Percy asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

Zoe shook her head. "I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than their van was, driving through D.C. traffic.

Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

"That won't work," Maisie said, "Percy's in the car."

"Zeus doesn't like you either!" Percy argued.

Maisie tapped Thalia on the shoulder as she was still praying. "While you're at it, ask your dad who he hates more—"

"Im trying to concentrate!" Thalia said.

Her concentration was pointless. The sky stayed gray and snowy. No sign of any helpful thunderstorm.

"There!" Bianca said."That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped," Zoe said.

"Trust me," Bianca said.

Zoe shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. They left the van and followed Bianca down some steps.

"Subway entrance," Bianca said. "Let's go south. Alexandria."

"Anything," Thalia agreed.

The demigods bought tickets and got through the turnstiles, looking behind them for any signs of pursuit. A few minutes later they were safely aboard a southbound train, riding away from D.C.

Maisie spent the majority of the ride spinning around the pole in the center of the subway car and using the overhead handles as monkey bars.

She lost her grip and plopped into the seat next to Zoe. The Hunter turned to her and said, "That was quite brave, what thee did at the Smithsonian."

Maisie smiled, "Thanks, Zoe." Sure, Zoe was a little uptight, but you almost couldn't help but have a certain high respect for her. So receiving a compliment from her made Maisie feel good.