mufasa's revenge

Percy and Maisie tore across the Mall, not daring to look back

Percy and Maisie tore across the Mall, not daring to look back. The main part of the museum was one huge room with rockets and airplanes hanging from the ceiling. Three level of balconies curled around, so the exhibits were visible from all different heights. The place wasn't crowded, just a few families and a couple of tour groups of kids, probably doing one of those holiday school trips.

"Which way!?" Maisie asked.

"I don't know!" Percy had been here before with his mom, but he was so young he hasn't really been paying attention to direction. He was too busy gawking at rocket ships.

"I think they went—" Percy was cut off when he ran into Thalia. They had been barreling up the ramp to the top-floor balcony when they accidentally slammed into her. Maisie's hand was ripped from Percy's as she went crashing to the floor. Thalia was knocked into an Apollo space capsule.

Grover yelped in surprise and staggered. Percy felt like a wrecking ball.

Before he could help Maisie up, Zoe and Bianca had arrows notched, aimed at his chest. Their bows had just appeared out of nowhere.

When Zoe realized who he was, she didn't seem anxious to lower her bow. "You! How dare you show thy face here?"

"Percy! Maisie!" Grover said. "Thank goodness." Zoe glared at him, and he blushed. "I mean, um, gosh. You're not supposed to be here!"

Maisie sat up and held her head. "Ouch."

Grover offered her a hand.

"Luke," Percy said, trying to catch his breath. "He's here."

The anger in Thalia's eyes immediately melted. She put her hand on her silver bracelet. "Where?"

Percy told them about the Natural History Museum, Dr. Thorn, Luke, and the General.

Maisie added sound effects to his story where she felt they were needed.

"The General is here?" Zoe looked stunned. "That is impossible! You lie."

"Huh!? Why would we lie?" Maisie said. "Look, there's no time. Jack Skeleton and crew—"

"What?" Thalia demanded. "How many?"

"Twelve," Percy said. "And that's not all. That guy, the General, he said he was sending something, a 'playmate,' to distract you over here. A monster."

Thalia and Grover exchanged looks.

"We were following Artemis's trail," Grover said. "I was pretty sure it led here. Some powerful monster scent...She must've stopped here looking for the mystery monster. But we haven't found anything yet."

"Zoe," Bianca said nervously, "if it is the General—"

"It cannot be!" Zoe snapped. "They must have seen an Iris-message or some other illusion."