attack of the canadians

Maisie woke up to her blaring alarm clock

She reached over, pounding her fist onto her nightstand, looking for snooze. After missing the button five times, she finally groaned and sat up to turn it off.

6:02 am.

Usually, Maisie would never purposely wake up for school this early. But today was her last day, and she told Darrell she'd help him open the café before she had to leave for school.

She rolled over out of bed, hastily apologizing to Hercules for disturbing his slumber, and made her way to the bathroom to brush her teeth and hair. She got changed into a pair of dark-wash overalls, with a red fitted tee underneath. As well as her red high top sneakers, that were a necessity considering her pants were a little long on her.

She made sure her olive green book bag was packed before she made her way through the kitchen and down the stairs to the café floor. Her grandmothers were already up, setting tables and baking muffins for potential patrons.

"You're up early," Gale said, as she sprayed a baking pan at the counter. "Excited for your last day?"

"Definitely," Maisie said. Lately, she found herself day-dreaming about Camp Half-Blood a lot more. She was excited for summer to begin.

The doorbell chimed as Darrell walked in and called, "Morning," a little sleepily.

Darrell's high school had been on summer break for a little over a week, and today was the first day he was starting a shift as early as this one. It was very much his choice. In fact, Barbara had encouraged him to keep his usual later shift instead, afraid he would be much too tired so early in the morning. But Darrell insisted that he would be fine, and that he wanted Thursday and Friday afternoons off so he could hang out with friends.

So here he was, walking into his first Friday morning shift twelve minutes late. Although he assured Barbara he could handle the early hours, he had also kinda begged Maisie to hangout with him that morning, so he wouldn't get so bored that he would fall asleep. Hence why Maisie was up at an earlier hour than she would typically be.

Maisie threw him his apron, and the two got to work with prepping the baked goods. Maisie did most of the work as Darrell kept yawning and rubbing his eyes, but she didn't really mind. Especially because, unbeknownst to him, he would be without her help for the whole summer while she was at camp.

"Five minutes til open," Barbara told them while she refilled the last napkin holder. "We're going to take Hercules for his walk, will you two be alright for a little bit?"

"We'll be fine," Darrell waved off. It would have sounded convincing had his eyes not been half shut.

"Maisie dear, you should get going soon. You don't want to be late."

"Ok."

Barbara leaned over the counter and kissed her granddaughter's forehead. "Have a good last day, alright? We'll figure out how you're getting to camp when you get back. I'm hoping we can drop you off. Sound good? Oh, and make sure you eat something before you go."