୨୧

Kim Hana

Kim Hana.

*ೃ

The deliberate claps of thunder served to remind Hana that it was time to go inside. The twenty year old was cocooned in the warmth of her best friend's car. The once vibrant sky, now somber, shed its droplets onto the roof of the car that sheltered the two, and it was a matter of time before it showered down with all its might.

"I think I overstayed my visit," Hana peered through the window, a smile still lingering from their previous conversation. The entrance to her apartment complex stood nearly twenty steps away.

"Don't make this so dramatic," Heejin relaxed her head into the seat, looking straight ahead of her. "I'm seeing you tomorrow, the day after too." The two university students had gotten back from a productive session at the library--something they found themselves doing often as they shared one of their general ed classes, Literature.

Hana clicked her seatbelt off, laughing at the other's mocking. "Okay, I'm leaving now," she swung her backpack over her shoulder. "In three," she clicked the door unlocked. "two," she placed her hand on the handle of the door. "one." In one final motion, she swung the door open, quickly shutting it, though making sure not to slam it. She quickly padded through the rain, remaining cautious of slipping hazards. As she reached the opening automatic doors of her complex, she spared Heejin a wave who waved back as her car urged forward.

She commenced the walk to the elevator, when she paused. Her arms felt too empty at her sides. She cursed herself, realizing she left her keys in the car.

✦*ೃ༄

Hana stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around her body. She, of course, had to dial Heejin earlier to let her know of her keys not being with her, and Heejin, who'd already left the complex grounds by that point, had to turn around to help her forgetful friend.

Hana swiped her hand over the mirror, clearing the condensation in the shape of her heart to see herself better as she did skincare.

After everything was done, the only thing she wanted to feel satisfied enough to go to sleep was a large bowl of noodles. It was the same kind that her and her brother would often eat growing up when their mother felt too tired to cook.

The little things always reminded her of her older brother. He was four years older than her, but it had been seven years since she last saw him.

In his last year of high school, he'd gotten involved in gambling. Initially he was fortunate, earning hundreds from illegal trips to the casino (he was underaged). He'd surprise his mother and sister with gifts of all sorts and prices, and any time either had asked him how he was affording them, he could never give a direct answer, or even an honest one.