30. Crane

📍JOHNS RD, SPANISH TOWN
J A N E L
ᴊᴀɴᴇʟ

Nickoi is still asleep and it's time for school

Who a go carry we?

I kiss my teeth.

When he's here, he always takes us to school. When he isn't, daddy takes me to school. Or his driver Douglas.

It a get late eno and Nickoi still in deh a sleep!

Mi hate him eesi.

Mi nuh know weh the gyal dem see pan him!

I glare at his room, fighting the urge to burst inside because I know he will probably give me the shame of my life.

No one can go in his room especially when he's asleep, so it's best if I go to daddy. I spray my Ms. Dior and walk out.

Cya believe him lie to the girl.

Cya believe me snitch pan him..

Whose side are you on?

I mean, a the first girlfriend him have weh me actually like.

So the girl then?

"Nickoi," I try.

Silence.

I walk to the living room and mutter to myself. "Mi say mi hate when him deh ya," I drop my forces on the ground and slip my feet in.

Yet you want him carry yuh go school..

Him just too stubborn and serious.

I quickly tie my laces and now I'm at the door. Noticing that my father is speaking. I wait at the door with my fingers laced together.

He notices me but still goes on to say.

"You a the only person make dumplings taste this good eno mommy," daddy's deep voice says to Ms. Cherry, our grandma.

She's the only person he really opens up to.

"A Louise way me do it eno," she chuckles, now talking about our great-great grandmother Louise.

I smile, now ready to interrupt.

"Good morning grandma, good morning daddy.." I step out already dressed in my uniform. I go to St. Jago High.

Ms. Cherry answers warmly.

Daddy's eyes scans me. He's still chewing his food. Brown stew chicken with dumplings and ground provisions.

The smell is amazing....

Jesus, Ms. Cherry can cook!

"Morning Janel," he retorts. "Wah do you now?"

I screw up my face as I complain. "You can wake him up please? Cause him have school and still laydung in deh," I pout.

"Jordane?"