Chapter 52: Beach

I sit on the sand with Michaela and Rose as everyone else swims in the ocean.

It's really hot today. I might try and get a tan. Keyword: try.

"Emily?" I look over at Michaela and I smile.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Do you wanna go for a swim?" She asks.

"Not really. Why? Do you guys wanna go for a swim?" I ask and both of them look away. "Guys, if you want to go for a swim, then go. I'll be fine by myself."

"Are you sure?" Rose asks and I nod my head.

"Of course I am. Now, go," I said and they run into the water, joining the rest of New Directions and Hayley. I lie down on my towel and I close my eyes.

Relaxing is nice. I never get time to relax ever since I joined Heart Attack. We've been having rehearsals non-stop for a few weeks and honestly, it's exhausting.

"Babe?" I open my eyes and I look at Ryder.

"Yeah?" I said and he sits his wet body next to me.

"Do you wanna join?" He asks and I sit up. "I promise you won't drown, okay? I'll help you." He looks at Jake and then back at me. "And Jake will help you too." I roll my eyes and I smile a little.

"Fine," I said and I stand up. He grabs my hand and we slowly walk towards the water. "You know what? Maybe I should go back to my spot on the towel. It was nice and cozy and stuff." I start to walk back, but Ryder pulls me back.

"Babe, you'll be fine," he said and I groan. We walk up to the water and I can feel it hitting my feet. I start to heavily breathe. I feel Ryder's hand on my back. "It's okay, Em. I've got you." I walk more into the water with Ryder right behind me. "You're doing great, Em." We continue to walk more into the water until the water is nearly up to my shoulders. Ryder swims around to the front of me and I look up at him as I heavily breathe. "It's okay, Em. See? You're not drowning."

"Yet," I said and I grab his hand.

"Gracie?" I look to the side to see Jake swimming towards us. "You're in the water?"

"Yeah. I guess I am." I smile a little. Jake then grabs my other hand.

"You're doing great," Jake said.

"You guys make me feel like I'm in labour or something." Jake smiles. I then look back down at the water.

"Maybe a song can help ease your mind," Ryder said and he nods at Jake.

"Right. Umm..." He then smiles and starts to sing.

Jake:
Oh written in the stars
A million miles away
A message to the main
Oh
Seasons come and go
But I will never change
And I'm on my way

Ryder:
Lets go...
Yeah
You're listening now
They say they ain't heard nothing like this in a while
That's why they play my song on so many different dials
'Cause I got more fucking hits than a disciplined child
So when they see me everybody brrrrrap's, brrrrrraps
Man I'm like a young gun fully black barrack
I cried tear drops over the massive attack
I only make hits like I work with a racket and bat
Look at my jacket and hat
So damn berserk
So down to earth
I'm bringing gravity back
Adopted by the major I want my family back
People work hard just to get all their salary taxed
Look I'm just a writer from the ghetto like Malorie Blackman
Where the hell's all the sanity at, damn
I used to be the kid that no one cared about
That's why you have to keep screaming 'til they hear you out

I smile at them both and we all continue to walk more into the water.

Emily-Grace and Jake:
Oh written in the stars
A million miles away
A message to the main
Oh
Seasons come and go
But I will never change
And I'm on my way

Emily-Grace:
Oh, oh, oh, oh... [3x]

Ryder:
Yeah, I needed a change
When we ate we never tip cause we needed the change
I needed a break
For a sec I even gave up believing and praying
I even done illegal stuff and was leaded astray
They say the money is the root to the evilest ways
But have you ever been so hungry it keeps you awake
Mate, now my hunger would leave them amazed
Great, it feels like a long time coming, fam
Since the day I thought of that cunning plan
One day I had a dream I tried to chase it
But I wasn't going nowhere, running man!
I knew that maybe someday I would understand
Trying change a tenner to a hundred grand
Everyone's a kid that no one cares about
You just gotta keep screaming until they hear you out

The water is now up to my chin. I stop and they both smile at me.

Emily-Grace and Jake:
Oh written in the stars
A million miles away
A message to the main
Oh
Seasons come and go
But I will never change
And I'm on my way [2x]

Emily-Grace (Jake in the brackets):
Oh, oh, oh, oh (Oh!)
Oh, oh, oh, oh (Ryder!)
Oh, oh, oh, oh (Emily!)
Oh, oh, oh, oh (Let's go!)

Jake:
Oh written in the stars
A million miles away
A message to the main
Oh
Seasons come and go
But I will never change
And I'm on my way [2x]

I smile and I hug them.

"You guys are great," I said and I pull away from them slowly. "But I'm still terrified." They both laugh a little, and the rest of New Directions and Hayley swim over to us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We make it back to the hotel and I see that everyone in Heart Attack (and Santana) is waiting for us in the lobby.

"Crap," I whisper to Hayley as we walk closer to our group.

"Where the hell were you two?" Santana asks and I look at the ground.

"Umm...at the beach..." I said and I look up to see an angry Santana.

"We've been waiting for you two. We have to practise. Nationals is tomorrow and I want Heart Attack to be absolutely perfect." Everyone then walks away and we sigh.

"Let's go get dressed and go practise," I said to Hayley and I grab her wrist. She groans as we make our way to our hotel room.

More practise? Are you serious? We've been practising so much over the past few weeks. I'm pretty sure we are perfect for Nationals, but hey, I'm not gonna argue with Santana. I don't want her to bite my head off with her Spanish words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That was good, but I want better!" Santana yells at us after we finished performing our routine for the 20th time already.

"Santana, not to sound stupid or anything, but we're tired. Can we please have a break?" I ask and she sighs.

"Fine. Everyone, you have 5 minutes. Go!" She said and everyone walks away. I walk over to Santana and she smiles a little at me.

"Sorry for not being on time to practise. I promise next time, Hayley and I will be here on time."

"Well, that's good." I sigh and I look up at her.

"You know, we've been practising nearly every day. Our routine is perfect. Why don't you see that?" She looks at me and I look at the ground. "I'm sorry. I should shut up now."

"I make all of you practise all the time because I want you to be the best. Having your routine perfect just isn't good enough." I nod. "Alright everyone. Get back into your positions!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SONGS:

Written In The Stars-Tinie Tempah