The Clash- London Calling

The more time I spent in the streets of London, the more I realized it was nothing like I had imagined. My favorite 70s and 80s English rock bands had me believe London was all grey walls, graffiti, and rain. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The Clash's rebellious anthems might have resonated with the punk scene of a bygone era, but the London I strolled through was a vibrant canvas of cultures and colors.

I walked without knowing where I was or where I was going. I knew London was relatively bigger than LA, but I knew the City of Angels like the back of my hand. Here, I felt I could get lost just circling my neighborhood.

Of course, I had my earphones on. People often told me it ruined the experience of discovering a new city, but I couldn't help it. My music kept me sane and painted a picture of the world around me that would always be mine and mine only.

As Secret Smile by Semisonic blasted
through my ears, I walked through a small park. I had always enjoyed the city more than the countryside, but patches of green always reminded me of football, my happy place.

My music got interrupted, and I rolled my eyes, taking my phone out of my pocket. It was Charlotte again, for the sixth time in a row. I decided to send her a text.

Me: I'm okay. I'm not mad. Just have stuff to do. Talk soon.

I knew she wouldn't call any more after that. I took a look at the time and realized I needed to get back home. I had done my grocery shopping earlier that day, but I had a busy day tomorrow and didn't want to be tired.

I wondered, as I walked, if I should send Leah a text. The woman had me under her wing, or so I had figured. Maybe she was like that with all of her new teammates. I had no idea. I was as bad at texting as I was at conversing. I had a lot of good assets and qualities. Communication wasn't one of them.
I didn't want to write a text thanking her again. And I was really bad at jokes. I had no idea how to open that conversation.

I was staring at my phone when I walked into the elevator of my building. And still staring at it when I reached the door of my flat.

She didn't have my number. I was the one that needed to take the first step.

I groaned, opening my door and walking in, kicking off my shoes. My feet were exhausted. I really needed to get a car.

I huffed at myself as I sat on my couch, and finally sent a text to Leah.

Me: Oi, mate. Bloody nice weather today innit?

I received an answer a few seconds later.

Leah: oh my god. You did not just send me that.

Me: Did I overdo it? I'm terrible at this texting thing.

Leah: No, you just sound like a proper Londoner now. I'm impressed. Spot on, mate. What's up?

Me: Not much, just survived my first solo grocery shopping. Got lost in the aisles for a bit.

Leah: Classic. Takes time to get used to it. You doing alright, though?

Me: Yeah, all good.

Me: ya fancy doing some car shopping with me tomorrow, lad?

Leah: oh my god, stop it. That's so stupid, I keep picturing you with a Scouse accent.

I giggled at her answer, though I had no idea what a Scouse accent was.

Me: Oi, you fancy it then? I could use some help picking out a proper motor.

Leah: I'll only say yes if you stop texting me like that. Deal?

Me: ahah, deal. Okay, looking forward to it. Thanks for the help. Oh, by the way, I changed my wallpaper. Less weird now.

Leah: Oh, really? Now I'm curious. What's the new wallpaper? Went from a pic of Viv to a pic of me I hope?

Me: you wish.

Leah: Alright. I'll see you tomorrow. Want a ride to Colney?

Me: yep. I'll pay you with a coffee and a breakfast sandwich. American way.

Leah: Isn't that nice? Alright, I'll see you tomorrow. Good night, California 🇺🇸

I giggled at her message, a silly smile on my lips, and wished her a good night too.

I was so happy I had managed to make a friend here already. I wanted to befriend the entire team, but I had to start somewhere, and Leah was a very good place to start, as she was a lovely woman who was herself friend with the entire team.

I had already picked up on the dynamics of a few players; Beth was fun and motherly, Katie was playful and witty, Viv had her very particular no-nonsense attitude as soon as she was near football, and Lotte was spirited and a bit childish. Leah was... Leah was Leah.

It was still all new to me. But I guess, somehow I felt at home. And it helped me sleep at night. I didn't have to worry about so many things here as I did in Los Angeles. My life had truly taken a turn in the right direction.