Coming clean

I yawned loudly, closing my eyes for a millisecond, before focusing on the road in front of me again. I was pretty tired, and choosing to play Passenger's 'Patchwork' album didn't really help me stay awake.

Suddenly, I heard a honk coming from behind my car, followed by three others. I frowned and looked at my rearview mirror, only to spot Katie's car, following me to training. I chuckled and rolled my eyes at how typical it was for Katie to announce her presence with a chorus of honks. With a shake of my head, I focused back on the road ahead, adjusting my grip on the steering wheel.

Two minutes later, I parked in front of the training center, Katie's blue Arkana pulling up beside me. I turned off the engine and stepped out of the car, stretching my arms above my head to shake off the last remnants of drowsiness.

Katie emerged from her car with her usual energy, and she immediately ran to my side, placing her hands on my shoulders and shaking my body with moderate violence. "Oi. Tell me, mate. You and Leah better have finally gotten somewhere?"

I let out a tired laugh, feeling the fatigue dissipate with Katie's familiar presence. "Morning to you too, McCabe," I replied, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "And I'm not telling you anything until Leah's here."

Katie raised an eyebrow, her expression a mix of annoyance and skepticism. "Seriously? After all the help I gave you, that's how you thank me?" She said, her tone dramatic.

"You can wait like, 5 minutes, can't you? She's probably just around the corner."

"Speak of the devil," Katie remarked, nudging me playfully and looking behind me. I turned around, and indeed spotted Leah, closing her car door, a bright smile lighting up her face.

I couldn't help but feel a surge of affection as she approached, her steps graceful and purposeful.

"Morning," Leah greeted, her voice a melodic symphony that chased away the remnants of sleepiness. "Why are you harassing my girlfriend so early in the morning, Katie?" She asked, and Katie gasped at the word 'girlfriend', while it made me smile from ear to ear.

Katie's eyes widened in mock astonishment, her hand flying to her chest in a theatrical gesture. "Girlfriend? Valentina, you sly dog!" she exclaimed, her tone filled with playful disbelief, as she gently punched my side.

I giggled at the sight, and Leah followed, laying a gentle hand on my waist. "Yeah well, turns out our date went pretty well," I replied, and Leah nodded, chuckling.

"But hey, you shut that big mouth of yours. No one can know but the squad, got it?" Leah said, pointing a menacing finger at her teammate.

Katie held up her hands in surrender, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Fine, fine. My lips are sealed," she promised, crossing her heart with an exaggerated gesture. "But my words still stand. You hurt each other, I kill you both."

Leah and I exchanged amused glances at Katie's dramatic declaration, her protective instincts shining through her playful demeanor. Despite the theatrics, her unwavering loyalty warmed our hearts, reminding us of the tight-knit bond we shared as teammates and friends.

"Oi! Bethany Mead! Come here!" Katie shouted, seeing Beth and Viv getting out of their car.

As Beth and Viv approached, their curious expressions mirrored our own as Katie summoned them with her usual flair. With a grin, Beth quickened her pace, her blonde ponytail bouncing with each step, while Viv trailed behind, her stoic demeanor contrasting with Beth's animated energy. She was not speaking much on the regular, but the fact that it was early in the morning didn't seem to make it any better.

"Do you have to yell at 9 a.m.?" Beth asked, an amused smile on her lips.

Katie shrugged nonchalantly, her grin widening. "We made it happen, baby. Them two are fucking now." She said, and my eyes widened at her words, while Leah burst out laughing next to me.