Family drama

"Well, ain't you an excited lad." Leah joked, seeing how I was tapping my thighs along the tune of 'Bittersweet Baby' by Blackwave that was playing in the car.

We had just parked in front of Beth and Viv's house. Most of the team was meeting there after coming home from the international break. The girls had invited us over to eat before we went back to training tomorrow. I suspected Beth to have invited us only so she could finally meet my dog, but I didn't care, I was just excited to see my teammates again.

I nodded at Leah's words, a smile gracing my lips. "Yeah. I miss the girls. Especially Katie." I confessed. "Don't tell her I said that, I won't hear the end of it."

Leah giggled at my words. "Oh, I'm definitely gonna tell her." She said, and I rolled my eyes.

"Annoying ass," I muttered Leah chuckled at my response, her laughter filling the car with warmth as she glanced over at me.

"Alright, let's go," she said, gently poking my side before escaping the car, walking to the trunk so she would get the drinks we brought. I followed suit, stepping out of the car and opening the backseat door for Drayton to get out.

As Drayton bounded out of the car with his usual enthusiasm, I smiled at his excitement. He seemed to sense the anticipation in the air, wagging his tail furiously as he took in his surroundings. He could probably smell the girls' dogs, too.

"Easy there, buddy," I chuckled, reaching down to ruffle his fur as he sniffed around the driveway, his tail wagging in delight. "you're gonna meet a new friend, yeah? You're gonna see, Myle is still little, but he's got a lot of energy, just like you."

Leah emerged from the trunk with a bottle carton in hand. "You talk to your dog a lot, don't you?"

I shrugged playfully as Leah joined me, closing the trunk with a soft thud. "Hey, he's a great listener," I replied with a grin, reaching out to take the bottle carton from her. Leah quickly stepped away though, offering me a mock-angry glare.

"Stop it. I'm a grown woman. I can carry a box."

I couldn't help but laugh at Leah's mock indignation. "Alright, alright," I relented, holding my hands up in surrender. "Just trying to be chivalrous, but I guess you've got it covered."

Leah grinned, shaking her head as she playfully nudged me with her elbow. "Always the gentleman, aren't you?" she teased, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

I chuckled, falling into step beside her as we made our way towards Beth and Viv's house. "I would if you ever let me," I mumbled, rolling my eyes and knocking on the door.

Beth swung open the door with a bright smile, her eyes lighting up as she caught sight of us. "You're late. But you have the dog. So immediately forgiven." Beth said, before crouching down, her arms open wide to welcome Drayton with open arms. Drayton wasted no time in bounding over to Beth, his tail wagging furiously as he nuzzled against her legs, his excitement palpable. "Hello, it's so nice to meet you, you big boy. Who's a beautiful boy, huh? Yes, it's you." Beth babbled, using the same voice she always used when talking to her dogs.

Drayton practically melted under Beth's affectionate words, leaning into her touch with a contented sigh as he soaked up the attention. "Sucker for attention, that one." I joked, and Leah nodded, giggling.

Beth straightened up, her smile widening as she glanced over at us. "Come on in, you two," Beth said, stepping aside to let us enter, grabbing the wine from Leah's hands. "The gang's all here, and Viv's got a spread fit for royalty waiting in the kitchen."

As soon as we stepped in, my eyes darted around to find a certain someone, unsuccessfully.

"Where's Katie?" I whispered to Leah, my brows furrowing in confusion as I scanned the room once more, hoping to catch a glimpse of my friend.