Drunk

"Stop being grumpy, you're ruining the mood," Katie told me, shoving my shoulder playfully. I grunted in response. "What? You're not upset over this, are you?"

"No, I'm not upset. Just... I wonder what they're doing right now. that's all." I said, and Katie smirked, putting her feet on the coffee table.

"They're a bunch of lesbians probably drunk together. What do you think they're doing?"

I rolled my eyes at Katie's remark, her casual bluntness never failing to amuse me. "Shut up," I replied with a chuckle, leaning back against the couch cushions. "I just... I don't know. Why wouldn't they want me there?"

"Cause it's a no-hoe zone." Katie shrugged. "Always been. It's like, their number one rule. Don't bring dates on their birthdays together. Even the birthday girl ain't allowed to."

"It's just- it's stupid. Leah said she wanted me to meet Mary and the rest of her friends, and the day we could potentially meet up she tells me 'No, birthday rule, you can't'."

Katie chuckled, shaking her head at my frustration. "Yeah, I get it. But hey, it's not personal. They've had this tradition for years. It's like their own little thing, you know? Doesn't mean they don't want you there, it's just... their thing."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair as I tried to wrap my head around it. "I know, I know," I replied, my tone resigned.

"You can survive a night without Leah now, can't you?"

I shot Katie a mock glare, her teasing tone earning an eye roll from me. "Of course, I can survive a night without her," I retorted, my voice laced with playful annoyance. "But that doesn't mean I have to like it. especially 'cause now I'm forced to spend it with you instead of her." I said, and Katie punched my thigh at my words.

"Shut up." She said, while I winced softly.

"Ouch! That hurt!"

"Wouldn't hurt if you weren't such a smart ass." Katie retorted.

"Katie, be nice," Caitlin said, walking into the room and sitting on the couch next to Katie, taking her hand in hers.

"Wait, you're here?"

Caitlin shot me a playful smirk as she settled into the couch, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Surprise," she replied with a chuckle, squeezing Katie's hand affectionately. "And don't worry, I'm always here to keep Katie in line."

"Great, now I'm third-wheeling!" I grunted, while Katie chuckled, pouring a bunch of popcorn into her mouth while Caitlin laid her head against her shoulder, smiling.

"For the times I had to third-wheel you and Leah cause me car broke down," Katie argued, her mouth filled with food and her charismatic smirk plastered on her lips.

I offered Karie a wince of disgust, kicking her legs with my foot. "Don't talk with your mouth full. Nasty girl."

Katie let out a muffled laugh, attempting to swallow her mouthful of popcorn before replying. "Rude much?" she retorted, shooting me a playful glare.

"Hey, you started it," I countered with a grin, nudging her shoulder with my own.

"One more shove I'm fightin' your ass." Katie threatened with a mock glare.

"Ooh bring it on, baby," I replied, standing up and turning my hands into fists.

Katie raised an eyebrow at my challenge, giving the popcorn bowl to Caitlin before she stood up to face me, mirroring my stance with a smirk. "You sure you wanna go there, tough guy?" she taunted.