Back home

As soon as I passed the doors of LAX, I took a huge breath. It smelled like fuel, sun and the faint scent of salt carried on the breeze from the nearby ocean.

I was definitely home.

I loved London for so many things, but Los Angeles for so many others.

With my suitcase rolling behind me, I walked to the bus stop. It only took a few seconds before I saw a black girl with pink braided hair and a vibrant smile sitting on a bench, tapping her foot to the rhythm of an upbeat song playing through her earphones. As I approached, she looked up, her eyes widening in recognition as she caught sight of me.

"Valentina fucking Villanueva!" she exclaimed, jumping up from her seat with excitement. "Girl, you're back!"

I grinned at the familiar face before me, feeling a surge of warmth and affection as I embraced my friend in a tight hug. "Lotte! Oh my god, it's so good to see you!" I exclaimed, returning her hug with equal enthusiasm. "I missed you like crazy!"

Charlotte laughed, pulling away to look at me with a playful smirk. "Missed me? Please, you've been living the high life in London while I've been stuck here dealing with all the high school drama."

I rolled my eyes playfully, giving her a playful shove. "Oh, stop it. You know you love the drama."

Charlotte chuckled, rolling her eyes in mock exasperation. "Maybe just a little," she admitted with a grin. "Oh, here are the keys to your LA royal carriage," She said, reaching into the pocket of her jean shorts and then handing me my bus card. One thing I hadn't missed about LA was having to take the bus everywhere. 

I laughed at Charlotte's dramatic gesture, taking the bus card from her with a grateful smile. "Ah, my trusty steed," I joked, slipping the card into my pocket as we made our way to the bus stop together. "I missed taking the bus almost as much as I missed you."

Charlotte rolled her eyes at my teasing remark, but there was a warmth in her gaze that spoke volumes. "Yeah, yeah, keep talking like that you'll see what happens," she teased, her grin widening as she nudged me playfully.

"Oh, I've never been so scared," I announced, and Charlotte scoffed at my words. "By the way, I took a hotel. Since, you know, my mom doesn't wanna see me anymore."

Charlotte's playful expression faltered, replaced by a look of concern as she reached out to squeeze my hand gently. "Valentina, I'm so sorry," she murmured softly, her voice filled with sympathy. "But you didn't have to take a hotel. You could've just stayed at mine."

I raised an eyebrow at my best friend's offer. "Oh, you mean at the house right in front of my parents' house?"

Charlotte nodded sheepishly, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Yeah, I guess that might be a bit awkward," she admitted with a chuckle. "But hey, the offer still stands if you ever need a place to crash. My parents would be more than happy to have you."

I smiled gratefully at Charlotte's offer, touched by her kindness and generosity. "Thanks, Lotte," I replied warmly, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Alright. What's the first thing you wanna do now that you're back in the best city in the world?"

As Charlotte posed her question, a rush of excitement coursed through me at the thought of being back in the vibrant, bustling city of Los Angeles. There were so many things I had missed about this place – the warm sunshine, the endless beaches, the eclectic mix of cultures that filled the streets.

But there was one thing in particular that I had been craving ever since I jumped on the plane back in Heathrow.

"I want tacos," I declared with a grin, my mouth watering at the thought of sinking my teeth into a delicious, savory taco from my favorite food truck. "Real, authentic, LA street tacos. The type that's so juicy it stains your shirt every time."