Hyde Park

The brisk stroll through Hyde Park continued, with Leah and me sharing laughter and anecdotes. The winter air nipped at our faces, but the connection between us seemed to generate its own warmth.

As we reached the iconic Serpentine Lake, the view was breathtaking. The water reflected the winter sky, and the serene surroundings created a beautiful thing. Leah and I found a bench overlooking the lake, and we sat down, still engrossed in our conversation.

Leah's eyes, a shade of blue that mirrored the lake, met mine, and for a moment, the world seemed to slow. The unspoken words hovered between us, and I couldn't ignore the magnetic pull drawing me closer to her.

Leah then looked away, at a dog walking a few feet away from us. It was a small beagle, with its tail white and its ears splattered with brown.

"You a dog person?" I asked her. She smiled at my question, her eyes still focused on the young dog.

"I definitely am. I'm especially a Meadema's dogs person. I love their dogs. They're absolute cuties." She said, referring to Viv and Beth's two spaniels.

I nodded, noting the genuine warmth in Leah's eyes as she spoke about Meadema's dogs. "Yeah, I've seen the pics on Instagram. They're adorable." I said, remembering one picture in specific, of Leah holding Myle in her arms. I kept myself from adding that she was adorable, too.

Leah grinned, her attention now fully back on me. "You a dog person, California?"

I chuckled, recalling the family dog back in California. "Yeah, we have a Golden Retriever named Drayton. When I had to leave for London, I cried more about leaving him than leaving my family."

Leah's eyes softened at the mention of Drayton, and a genuine smile played on her lips. "Why Drayton?" She asked, and I immediately blushed at the question.

"You're gonna make fun of me," I said.

"Me? Make fun of you? That never happens."

Leah's playful smirk confirmed that she was indeed about to make fun of me. I sighed dramatically, realizing I had set myself up for it.

"Okay, fine. It's the name of the metro station next to the Emirates Stadium. Drayton Park."

Leah burst into laughter. "You named your dog after a metro station? That's a first," she teased, shaking her head in mock disbelief.

"Stop laughing! I was like, 12!" I said, and it only made her laugh even more.

"Never in my entire life have I encountered such a football nerd." She stated, laughing so hard her hair started bouncing around. I loved her hair.

"Laugh all you want, it suits him very well," I said, crossing my arms around my chest. "He's a very good boy, who loves chasing after footballs as much as I do."

Leah's laughter gradually subsided, and she wiped away a mock tear. "Alright, California, I'll give you that one. Drayton sounds like a cool dog."

I rolled my eyes, but a grin played on my lips. "Thank you, Captain Williamson. Dray's indeed the coolest dog in the neighborhood."

Leah raised an eyebrow at my words, crossing her arms around her chest and smirking at me. "Did you just call me captain?"

I smirked in response to Leah's raised eyebrow, enjoying the playful banter. "Yeah, Captain. Got a problem with that, Williamson?"

Leah chuckled, leaning back against the bench. "Not at all, Valentina. Just didn't know if I was promoted without notice."

"Well, you captain one of your teams." I shrugged. "The one I'm not in, but still."