Brunch

The following day, I woke up to the soft rays of sunlight streaming through the curtains. The quietude of my apartment contrasted with the vibrant energy of Meadow Park just a day ago. With no training scheduled, it was a day off for Arsenal, which gave me a chance to sleep in a little and relax.

I stretched in bed, reliving the game in my head, but my thoughts were soon interrupted by the sound of my phone buzzing on the bedside table.

It was a message from Leah.

Leah: Morning, California! Already up I hope?

I chuckled, replying,

Me: Morning! Just woke up, yeah. How about you? Feeling sore or anything?

Leah's response came swiftly,

Leah: Oh, you know, just the usual post-game aches. Nothing new. Don't worry about my knee, I know you are. I feel absolutely fine.

I grinned at Leah's reassurance, grateful for the update on her knee. I was definitely a bit worried about it. I guess she started to know me well.

Leah: Wanna grab brunch later? I could use some company.

Brunch with Leah sounded like the perfect way to spend the day off.

Me: Can't get enough of me, can you?

I sent the message jokingly, and awaited for her answer. But her answer didn't sound like a joke at all.

Leah: No, I can't.

I immediately blushed at her answer. Was she teasing me? Or did she actually mean that? We had known each other for less than a week, but we hadn't spent a single day without seeing each other yet. We were practically glued together.

I thought about the night three days ago, when I told her I was a lesbian. She had seemed unfazed when I told her she made me feel stuff. Maybe because I was drunk and I just didn't decipher anything, or maybe because I was drunk and she thought I didn't mean it. Maybe she simply didn't care about it. I had no idea.

My thoughts swirled as I considered Leah's straightforward response. The prospect of brunch together suddenly felt like it carried a weight beyond mere friendship. I couldn't deny the magnetic pull between us, but was Leah feeling the same undercurrents?

I hesitated for a moment, my fingers hovering over the keyboard. The truth felt heavy, but avoiding it wouldn't make things clearer. Maybe I was just being delusional. I decided to give her a simple monotonous answer.

Me: brunch sounds great. I'll come and pick you up.

Leah's quick reply appeared on my screen,

Leah: Sure. Looking forward to it. Be there by 11?

I looked at the time. I had a little less than an hour to get ready. I sent her a confirmation text, then got out of bed, torn between excitement and nervousness.

I opened my closet, and looked at my clothes. My fashion sense was close to non-existent. All I was always wearing was football clothes. It didn't seem appropriate for today, though.

I settled on something simple. Grey jeans, a white shirt, and my burgundy teddy jacket. I glanced at myself in the mirror. Couldn't be more casual, but I guess it would do the trick.

I then brushed my teeth, made my bed, and looked at the time again. It was 11:40. Leah lived 15 minutes away.

With that, I slipped into my sneakers, grabbed my keys, and headed out the door. The crisp air outside was still hard on my Californian skin, but it was warmer than yesterday.

One day I'll have it all. // Williamsonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें