Milton Keynes

"Baby, we're gonna be late, just come out. I'm sure you look great." Leah told me, from the other side of my bedroom door.

I sighed softly, looking at myself in the mirror. Leah had driven me home so I could change before we went to her parents' place. She was already ready, wearing once again one of her signature outfits that made her look so stylish and elegant.

But I didn't have her fashion talents. I had no fashion sense. 90% of the clothes I owned were made to play football in.

With a resigned sigh, I straightened my posture and took one last look at my reflection in the mirror. My outfit was simple and practical, an oversized pair of white jeans and a plain dusty pink hoodie. With black and white Forums on my feet. It was the best I could do on short notice, and while it lacked the flair and sophistication of Leah's wardrobe, it felt comfortable enough. Not as comfortable as a football shirt and a pair of shorts, but I could live with it.

I knew Leah would think I looked great. She always did. But I was scared of one thing, one thing I knew was true; I looked like a high school kid. I knew the age difference between me and my girlfriend wasn't that shocking. But it was still there. I was 20 and she was almost 27. And it showed.

As Leah's gentle voice drifted through the door again, urging me to join her, I felt a pang of insecurity gnawing at my confidence.

With a heavy sigh, I reluctantly tore my gaze away from the mirror and made my way to the door, my steps slow and hesitant. I pushed open the door and stepped out into the hallway, my eyes immediately locking with Leah's as she turned to face me.

Leah's eyes lit up with a warm smile as she took in my appearance, her gaze sweeping over me appreciatively. "There you are," she said softly, her voice filled with affection. "You look very nice."

I raised an eyebrow at her words. "I look like I'm 15. They're gonna think I'm irresponsible and immature."

Leah sighed at my self-deprecating words. "Stop it. You look wonderful. Maybe you look young, okay. So what? They're not gonna judge you based on what you look like. Okay? They're good people. They look beyond that."

Leah's reassurance did little to ease my nerves, but I appreciated her efforts nonetheless. Taking a deep breath, I forced a small smile and nodded in response to her words. "Okay,"

Leah stepped closer to me, her hand reaching out to gently cup my cheek as she met my gaze. "I mean it, Valentina," she said firmly, her voice tinged with conviction. "You're amazing just the way you are. And my parents are going to see that too. Trust me."

I looked down at my feet, smiling softly, my cheeks taking a light pink hue. "Maria Valentina," I mumbled, looking back at her.

Leah frowned at my words. "What?"

"My name, it's Maria Valentina. Valentina's my middle name. In case you wanna like... scold me or something."

Leah's lips curved into a playful grin as she listened to my clarification. "Maria Valentina," she repeated, testing the name on her tongue with a hint of amusement. "How about that? I didn't even know my girlfriend's real name." she chuckled. "Okay then. I'll keep that in mind for when you're in trouble."

I giggled softly at her words, nodding. She gently took my hand in hers, then brought it to her lips, kissing its back gently.

"Alright, Maria Valentina," Leah said, her tone teasing yet affectionate as she gently squeezed my hand. "Let's go."

I offered Leah a grateful smile, and we made our way back to her car. The drive from my place to Milton Keynes would take around an hour.

An hour of pure anxiety. Leah had only just started driving and my right foot was already tapping against the floor nervously. My mind raced with a million thoughts, each one more daunting than the last. What if her parents didn't like me? What if they thought I wasn't good enough for Leah? What if they saw right through me, the insecurities and doubts that I tried so hard to hide?