Arsenal V Reading

"We've got McCabe, Katie McCabe, I just don't think you understand," Katie sang into my ears, putting her arm around my shoulders, as I was walking to the bus, my bag in my hand.

I chuckled at her excitement, shaking my head. "It's a bit megalomaniac of you to sing your own chant, ain't it?" I asked her, and she flashed me a seductive smile.

"Not my fault I've got the best chant of the squad." She boasted. "Excited for your first game, California?"

As we approached the bus, I couldn't help but feel a mix of nerves and excitement. Katie's playful banter lightened the mood, but the reality of my first game with Arsenal loomed ahead.

"I mean, I'm not gonna be playing tonight, but yeah, I'm excited. Bit nervous, though." I said, giving my bag to our kit man, and thanking him while he put it in the hold.

"Who told ya you weren't gonna play?" She said, frowning, and I simply shrugged.

"I mean, realistically, chances are I won't be. I'm not in the starting lineup, and replacements are gonna be Leah and Kim, cause they make their comeback from injury, then probably, I guess Stina, Frida and we're gonna keep a substitution just in case someone gets injured." I told her nonchalantly. Even though I had thought about it for the whole night. And the day before, too.

As I boarded the bus, I quickly greeted every player already inside. Finding my seat, I settled in, absorbing the energy that surrounded me. Most girls were focused already, even though a few were laughing and talking, most of them had their earphones on. Jen even looked already asleep, in the back of the bus.

Katie, still animated, took a seat next to me, determined to lift my spirits. "Hey, don't underestimate yourself, California. You never know what might happen. It's football; anything can change in an instant."

"Why do you guys call me California and don't call Emily Virginia?" I asked, genuinely curious.

Katie chuckled, leaning back in her seat. "Well, California has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Plus, you're all sun and laid-back vibes. I don't know. Just fits you. By the way, Valentina Villanueva doesn't sound very American. You weren't born there, right?"

I grinned at Katie's question, appreciating the diversion from the pre-game nerves. "No, I was actually born in Mexico. My family moved to California when I was six. So, technically, I'm not a native Californian, but it feels like home."

Katie raised an eyebrow. "Mexico, huh? That's cool. You ever go back?"

I shook my head. "My parents do. I never did. I mean, maybe when I was like, 8. After that, I always insisted on staying in the us. So I could keep training during the holidays."

"Well, ain't you a dedicated lad?" Katie chuckled, gently hitting my shoulder.

I raised my eyes towards the door, watching Leah and Lotte enter the bus. They sat in front of us, fighting for the seat next to the window. Leah eventually won and sat right in front of me, while Lotte groaned like a child, sitting in front of Katie.

"What'd we miss?" Leah asked, not bothering to greet us.

Katie grinned mischievously. "Just discussing Valentina's chances of playing tonight. She's underestimating herself."

I rolled my eyes at her words. "Come on, I just know I won't be playing. It's okay, though. I still get to watch my favorite team ever play. I'm not gonna complain."

"Modesty suits you, California," Leah teased, looking back at me with a smirk. "But she's right, you never know what might happen. Football is unpredictable."