Interview

"Alright, Valentina. Remember, don't look at the camera, yeah?" The interviewer, Joanna, reminded me.

I nodded, clearing my throat and anxiously waiting for the interview to begin. Emily Fox sat right next to me and flashed me a reassuring smile. We hadn't had the chance to get to know each other yet, but she had always seemed lovely.

And they had obviously put us together for the interview as we were both new players for Arsenal and both Americans. Emily was way more experienced than I was though, as she had been playing professionally in the US for several years now.

Joanna started the interview with a warm smile, her voice smooth and inviting. "Hello, Arsenal fans! Today, we have the pleasure of introducing two new faces to the team – Valentina Villanueva and Emily Fox. Welcome to the Arsenal family, both of you!"

"Thank you, it's great to be here," Emily responded, her confidence evident.

Joanna turned to me, and I managed a shy smile. "Valentina, how does it feel to be part of such a storied club like Arsenal?"

"Well, like I said the other day, I'm extremely proud. I've been a fan of Arsenal my whole life, I wouldn't want it any other way. The history, the fans, the legacy – it's an honor to wear the Arsenal shirt."

Joanna nodded appreciatively. "And Emily, you've had a successful career in the U.S. How does joining Arsenal compare to your previous experiences?"

Emily grinned, her eyes lighting up. "Arsenal is a different level. The caliber of players, the professionalism – it's a step up, of course, we know how top-notch the WSL, and European football are in general. But yeah, it's incredible, and I look forward to our first game on Saturday."

I listened to Emily's words attentively. Her voice sweated honesty and professionalism. That was impressive to see.

Joanna continued the interview, shifting the focus to our relationships with the existing team members. "How are you both finding the team dynamics so far? Any standout teammates who've made you feel particularly welcome?"

I glanced at Emily, silently urging her to go first. She chuckled before answering, "Oh, definitely. I've reunited with Lotte and Alessia, with whom I used to play back at UNC. I think that helped me feel more at home here. Also, Beth, Viv, Katie, and Kim have been incredibly welcoming. It's a great group,  everyone's nice and supportive, and I'm excited to see how we'll grow together on and off the pitch."

"Sounds wonderful," Joanna remarked. "And Valentina, any particular teammate you've connected with?"

I smiled, thinking about the interactions from the past few days. I didn't want to put Leah on the spot, though, so I had to make sure not to talk about her too much. "Definitely, it's been amazing to bond with everyone. I don't even need to cite names, everyone is very friendly on and off the pitch. There are a few girls I haven't had the chance to really... talk with yet, but yeah, they're all extremely nice. I'm happy to be here and to get the opportunity to make friends with such amazing women. Leah's been, a bit of my taxi for the last two days, so there's that, too. She's becoming a very good friend now, I like to think."

Joanna laughed softly, then nodded, satisfied with the response. "That's great to hear. Now, looking ahead, what are your personal goals for the season?"

I took a deep breath, trying to put my aspirations into words. "Well, first and foremost, I want to contribute to the team's success in any way I can. Whether it's scoring goals, assisting, or defending. And of course, I want to keep growing as a player, learn from the experienced ones around me, and make a positive impact in every game. I know what I'm good at, and I know what I should work on more, I just need to stay focused and play my best football."

Emily chimed in, adding her perspective. "Absolutely, just like Vale said. Personal growth is crucial, but more than anything, I want to be a reliable teammate. Whether it's on the field or providing support off it, contributing to the team's success is my top priority."

Joanna nodded approvingly. She continued with more lighthearted questions, allowing us to share some personal tidbits with the fans. As the interview wrapped up, I felt a mix of nerves and excitement. It was my first official introduction to the Arsenal fanbase, and I hoped they'd embrace me as part of their football family.

"Thank you both for joining us today. We can't wait to see you in action on the pitch. Welcome again to Arsenal, Valentina and Emily!"

With that, the interview concluded, and Emily and I exchanged relieved smiles. It had gone way more smoothly than I had anticipated.

"You're very good at that," I told Emily.
She flashed me a smile, nodding her head.

"Thanks, Vale. You did great too. I know It can be hard at first, but think about the Gooners, not the journalists. And the Gooners just want you to be you."

"W-wow. That's a great advice. Thanks so much."

"I'll see you around, yeah?" She said, before leaving the interview room, gently patting my shoulder.

I smiled softly, happy with my performances both on the pitch and during the interview, and the definite new friend I was going to make. I walked down the stairs to the locker rooms and changed into my normal clothes again, as the interviewer had asked me to throw on a match day kit. I then retrieved my bag from my locker, before walking out of the training center, focused on my phone as I was booking an Uber.

As I walked through the parking lot, my eyes glued to my phone, I felt a presence behind me.

"Whatcha doin'?" I then heard, so close to my ear it made me jump and squeal, my phone falling on the ground.

I turned around to find Leah standing there, a mischievous smirk on her pretty lips. "Leah, you scared the shit out of me! Jesus Christ." I exclaimed, picking up my phone, as Leah laughed wholeheartedly behind me. "I thought everyone had gone home. Why are you still here?"

Leah frowned at the question. "What do you mean? I thought we were getting you a car." She said, and I blinked. I couldn't believe she had actually waited for me.

"You... you waited here just for me..?"

"Well, yeah. Thought we were going car shopping together, didn't we? Unless you've changed your mind and don't want my expert advice anymore. Lotte's here too. Said she wanted to get to know you a bit."

Right there, I was torn. I wanted to get to know Lotte better, definitely. But I also wanted to be alone with Leah. I wanted to be alone with her. Why did I want to be alone with her? Since when do I want to- was Charlotte right? Am I... no, surely not. Maybe I saw Leah as a mentor, yeah, that was it. A mentor who drove me around and waited for me like a good mentor would. A very beautiful mentor, whose physical perfection did not in any way affect my view of.

"Hey. You okay? You're all... white, all of a sudden."

I took a deep breath, realizing I was caught in my thoughts, and looked back at Leah. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Let's go car shopping then," I replied, putting on a smile to conceal my inner turmoil.

Leah raised an eyebrow, her gaze lingering on me for a moment longer before she shrugged. "Alright, if you say so. Lotte's pretty excited about it. She's been rambling about cars since she found out."