Part 20 - The Distance

Akshara sat on her bed clutching a shirt of her husband close to her heart. It has been 2 days since he had left to Kasauli with just a goodbye. With her anger long  subsided , she was now missing him dearly.

He has been ritually calling twice every day to check if she had her medicines and if she is feeling good. Only those two questions, nothing less nothing more. To clear her broody mood , she spent most of the daytime with Abhir helping him in studies,  the evenings are dedicated to cooking and chatting with others. But the nights have been the toughest, reminding her again and again of how much she missed him, his smile, his touch, altogether his presence which was her peace .

Akshara's phone rang breaking her train of thoughts . Without even seeing the phone, she was sure of who it was.

" Hello Abhinav" she answered in the second ring.

" Hello, how are you?" Abhinav enquired.

" Thik hu, how are you?"

"  Mei bhi thik hu ji, have you taken your night tablets?"

" Ji" Akshara answered .

A moment passed as they remained silent.

" Abhinav, how is everything going on? I mean regarding the business?" Akshara asked to extend their conversation.

" Ji, everything is fine" he kept his answer to the point.

Akshara's heart twisted in pain with his crisp reply . Another moment passed.

" Ji Abhir hai?" He asked his usual question that put an end to their conversation everyday.

" Ek minute" Akshara walked to Abhir's room to find him playing video games with his Bumi.

" Abhir , papa wants to speak with you " Akshara walked into his room disturbing both of the players.

" Hey .. papa" Abhir dropped his controller down and got the phone from his mother's hand enthusiastically and ran outside.

Akshara took control of the joystick and continued the game along with Muskaan.

" Look at him, almost snatching the phone that eagerly as if he hasn't spoken to his papa for a month" Muskaan commented

" Haan Muskaan... sometimes it's very difficult to believe that these two doesn't share a DNA.. I'm sure if they did it will be filled with full of PJ's and pathande"  Akshara said as Muskaan laughed at her sentence concentrating on the game.

" You know what.. to think ,even look wise Abhir looks more like Abhinav . " Akshara added

" Haan bhabhi, even Suhaana di said the same last time when she came to our house that how Abhir looked the same as the cute golu molu teenage Bhaiji" Muskaan let out a small chuckle and turned towards Akshara who was glaring at her with dagger eyes.

Muskaan straightened up with a stupefied face turning away from her sister in law's stare.

" Waise bhabhi, how is Bhai ji...I haven't had a chance to speak to him since he left, even when I called Neelamma he was always outside... was he able to arrange for all the vehicles needed?" Muskaan questioned trying to change the topic.

" He is good  .. I asked about it, he vaguely answered everything is fine. " Akshara rolled her eyes.

"Waise bhi, with the two vehicles already, he might just need to get another 4 by 4. I think it will suffice, doesn't it?" Akshara further implored.

Muskaan turned to look at her with an confused reaction and faced away as soon as she could

" Muskaan, I caught that face. Is something wrong? " Akshara questioned concerned.