~Chapter Thirty-One~

Raven awoke that night, feeling as if something was off. She shuffled around a little, searching for Apple in the darkness, but was met with an empty space next to her. She flashed her mirrorphone screen at Apple's sleeping bag, seeing that she wasn't there either. So, where was she?

Raven put on one of her flannels and headed out of the tent. The cold, brisk air immediately hit her, while the sun was just barely above the horizon.

Her gaze landed on the river, where she saw Apple sitting on the ground in front of the river, knees to her chest. Her hair was billowing in the cold morning air, and she was barely moving a muscle, seeming very content. Raven immediately strolled down to the quiet river and took a seat next to Apple.

"Shouldn't you be resting? Especially after yesterday." Raven asked as she glanced over at Apple, who was just looking straight ahead with a very blank expression.

"I should. I just wanted to watch the sunrise though."

Raven looked in the same direction Apple was, and the sun was barely up. A small sliver of sunlight shone above the horizon.

Raven looked around, trying to break the silence, when she saw a small, shiny coin. She picked it up and wiped it off, before holding it in the direction of Apple.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Apple took the penny from her and fidgeted with it in her hands, taking a deep breath and turning back towards the river.

"I'm just...thinking about my destiny."

"Really?... what do you mean by that?"

Apple sighed and placed her head on her knees, holding her knees to her chest with her arms.

"It's just that, I've always been so set on everyone following their destiny, playing their part, because...I was told that if you didn't, it was wrong. Every single day growing up I was told that I needed to make my mother proud and live up to the family name, that I needed to follow my destiny. I had to be the best in everything. Every pageant, spelling bee, competition, talent show, you name it, I had to be the best. So I always thought that my expectations were the same as everyone else's. But then you came, you refused to sign the book, you rewrote your destiny, and started the rebel movement. And of every reaction I could have had to that...I was mad. Not only mad, but I was scared. Scared because I didn't know that was an option or a possibility. I was so worried about my own happily ever after that, I didn't realize that nobody else would get one. And I was stupid...and selfish. I never realized that it was an option for me too. I would always dream about being as good as my mother, but I never once asked myself about what I wanted. I guess I'm just...torn. I don't want to completely rewrite my destiny, but I want some sort of opinion about it. I want to decide who my Prince Charming will be...who I'm going to spend my life with."

Raven's mouth opened in shock. This was not Apple White. This was someone else. She couldn't believe that Apple was seriously saying this with a straight face. But, somewhere inside of her, she was proud of Apple.

"Apple...I never would have expected you to say that. I'm just glad you understand that...barely anyone gets a happily ever after without struggle if they ever do get one. I mean, you wouldn't want to be trapped in a mirror for the rest of time, would you? Everyone deserves an opportunity at their own, special happily ever after."

Raven picked a daisy from the spot next to her, reaching to give it to Apple.

"Remember what I told you on True Hearts Day? 'If you don't live the way you want to, can you really call it a happily ever after?'"

She took the flower from Raven, softly smiling down at it. "Of course I remember..."

She placed a hand on Apple's shoulder, staring lovingly at her with a huge smile. "So write your destiny. Decide who you want your Prince Charming to be. Because if I've learned anything, it's that there is a happy ending waiting for everyone, you just  may not have found it yet."

The pair didn't even notice how close they were getting. They gazed into each other's eyes, the world froze around them.

Once again, the pink aura returned and outlined their eyelids and pupils. Except this time, it didn't disappear. In fact, it grew stronger the closer they got. Out of instinct, they both leaned towards each other, feeling naturally drawn to one another.

Raven placed a gentle hand on Apple's cheek as they both began to close their eyes and part their lips. Time stopped as the pair held their breath, the sun had risen even more and was now shining directly in between the gap separating their lips, and just before they made contact, a loud whistle blew from the campsite.

They both immediately backed away and looked towards the sound of the disruption. The pink aura surrounding their eyes instantly faded, snapping them both out of their little realm of infatuation.

When the girls looked back towards each other, their faces went red, and neither of them said a word about what just happened. Raven shyly smiled and stood up.

"I'm glad we talked about this. I'll, uh, see you up there."

She smiled down at Apple before rushing back up to where the tents were, and Baba Yaga was demanding all of them get up.

Before Apple left, she closed her eyes and breathed in the scent of the daisy that Raven had given her. She shoved the penny into her pocket and stood up.

Maybe it will be alright.

Word count: 989

A/N: thank you guys so much for 2000 reads! It really means lot ❤️