~Chapter Thirty-Five~

It was the day (some) of the students had been waiting for. The day they were going back to the school. Everyone had begun cleaning up, and everyone meant everyone. Baba Yaga, Giles, and Milton were on thin ice after what happened to Apple, so now everyone needed to pull their weight.

Raven stood off to the side, having finished packing up her things. She held that same notepad with the long list of students on it. She bit her pen, thinking hard about her clues so far. There were two of them, and one could make a quick escape. Or could they camouflage? No. Right? It was nighttime though...

Raven's mind raced with different thoughts. Her eyes ran over the list, but for every student, there was a reason it couldn't be them. She bit her pen harder, becoming frustrated with the fact that this wasn't going well. Her eyes shifted up and suddenly landed on a rather...strange exchange. The different hands ran against each other, their palms meeting as if they were exchanging something.

Raven's eyebrow raised as she quickly wrote down what she saw. She wasn't able to see their heads, unfortunately, but whatever they exchanged, they did it in a shady way. Besides, she was going to use anything she could get.

Then, a thought flashed in her mind. One land had no rings on it. Most of the students there wore at least one ring. And the other student had a rather large, shiny one. She couldn't quite place her finger on whose it could have been though.

Her thoughts were soon interrupted by a sudden familiar voice calling her name.

"Raven! I need you to give us a hand!" Cerise called out, holding a chair with Maddie.

Raven only glanced up at the two for a moment, before her attention was returned to her investigation. "You got this. I believe in you guys."

Cerise gave her a quizzical look, wondering what Raven could possibly be writing down on that notepad. Before she could say anything else, another voice filled the air around them.

"Raven! Can you please help me with this?"

Apple's sweet voice was accompanied by that perfect smile that gracefully slipped on her face when Raven turned to see her. Apple held a hammer in her hand, attempting to pull a stake out of the ground. Her blonde hair elegantly draped over her shoulder as that pearly-white smile caught Raven's purple eyes. The eyes that made Apple's heart melt every time they met hers. A blush spread across both of their faces as their eyes locked together.

Raven immediately threw on a nervous smile and shoved her notepad into her back pocket, darting over to where Apple was and kneeling next to her.

The two didn't even realize how close together they were as they worked, as Cerise and Maddie watched the scene from afar.

"Well, that isn't very fairest," Maddie said, crossing her arms.

"Yeah, but Raven is head over heels for her. We may as well start planning the wedding right now." Cerise smugly replied, playfully nudging Maddie.

The two glanced back over at the pair, seeing Raven stand up again. Raven approached Maddie and Cerise, that same smile plastered on her face.

"So you help Apple and not us, eh?" Cerise teased her.

Raven rolled her eyes, a pink tint emerging on her cheeks. "Maybe when you have curly blonde hair and red lips." She chuckled.

Cerise rolled her eyes in response, as the Headmaster announced that they were almost finished up, and only a few more things needed to be done. Once again, someone called out for Raven's assistance, presumably for her magic.

"Can anyone do anything without me?" She groaned, heading in the direction of the student.

Cerise and Maddie laughed as they watched her go, before Briar came up to the girls, her pink-tinted shades pulled over her eyes.

"Hey, girls. What're we laughing at?"

"Raven."

Briar smirked and raised an eyebrow, watching as Raven went from student to student, aiding them with different tasks. Tasks that they should be doing.

"People need to learn how to do their jobs. Now that Maddie and Apple aren't slaving away, that doesn't mean they can keep slacking off too." Briar commented, the trio glancing at each other.

"That's true." Cerise smugly smiled under her hood. "But at least Raven got to help her girlfriend."

She emphasized the word "girlfriend" when she spoke, pointing to Raven finally sitting down, Apple right by her side. The pair smiled at each other and exchanged a few words that the girls were too far away to hear.

"Gosh. We may as well just throw them at each other. They're one good conversation away from getting engaged." Briar said.

"Throw them at each other...I like the way you're thinking, Briar." Cerise declared, rubbing her hands together as an idea struck her mind.

The two shared a look, knowing exactly what they were gonna do.

The second Apple and Raven stood up, the girls snuck behind them.

They gave Raven and Apple both a harsh shove, immediately running away.

The two stumbled together, their bodies clashing with one another. Their eyes instinctively closed tightly from the shock, as they ran into each other.

They didn't even realize how close together they were until their eyes opened. The pair weren't even inches apart. Their eyes opened in unison, quickly seeing the other's face.

The tips of their noses grazed each other as their cheeks grew red, but, neither pulled away.

It seemed as if the world faded away around them, just the two of them in this little bubble of their own. How many times had they been this close? They didn't know, but they didn't care either.

Neither of them noticed their hands instinctively holding onto the other's. Their fingers almost naturally intertwined, their proximity becoming more and more comfortable and familiar as if they had done this dance before. It felt like a dream. A dream you remember so well but can't remember it at all at the same time.

The two were completely lost in each other's eyes, their bodies naturally tangling together, like this intimate moment was just centered around them.

They got so caught up in this haze they created, that they couldn't even pull apart. In fact, they got closer.

Raven gently squeezed Apple's hands, both of their eyes closing in unison.

The world stopped moving. It seemed as if everything around them was gone now. They leaned in even more, almost closing the very little space that remained between them.

Their lips barely brushed each other's, as they prepared to share a kiss until it was all ruined. Again.

The voice of the headmaster rang through the air, immediately causing Raven and Apple to open their eyes.

Apple nervously looked back towards his voice, her face becoming more red. Why did she do that? Why did she try to kiss Raven?

She flashed a nervous smile at Raven and released her hands, backing away.

"I...I need to get my stuff."

With that, Apple ran away, a blush covering her pale cheeks.

The moment Raven felt Apple's hand's leg go of hers, her heart sank. She just stared blankly at Apple as she ran away, feeling as if she just lost something so near and dear to her heart.

Because she did.

The three girls walked up to Raven, looking ecstatic.

"We saw the entire thing." Cerise beamed, nudging Raven with her elbow.

"So you also saw how quickly she ran away from me?"

The three girls quickly glanced at each other, certainly not expecting that reaction.

"Well...uh...she still likes you, right? She leaned in too."

"I guess..." Raven sighed, looking away.

She gave the three a nervous smile, trying to reassure them, before wandering off once more.

This was going to be a bumpy ride.

Word count: 1328