Five Bucks

I sat in my rocking hair out on my porch sipping my beer watching as the hot spring sun began to set below the New Mexico horizon bringing us all a few hours of respite from the harsh heat and blistering sun,

"Evening Mary Agnes," A voice spoke up making me look down the street where I saw Kallie in her usual blue skirt and white blouse, parasol in hand to keep her from the sun that remained, she was walking on her way to the hotel clearly fresh finished with a walk, 

"Evening Callie, Gone on a walk?"

"That's right, hotels empty. Not much else to do." 

"Fair enough, A drink?"

"No thank you,"

"Evenin' Ladies," Another voice spoke up making us both turn our attention, and we were immediately taken back.

Stood heading down the street himself was Whitey Winn, looking rather unusual for himself. He walked the dusty LaBelle street his boots dusted and cleaned, his britches clean and pressed, his shirt crisp and white, his jumper dusted and clean, his skin a fresh clean and soft, his nails clean, his hair clean and fluffy slightly damp on the ends, his hat dusted and clean on his head, his gunbelts still on but cleaned up and polished, even the fuzz he insisted on keeping above his lip was trimmed and clean, Christ even from here we both knew he'd had a bath and as he approached more his usual scent of ripe, sour dirt and sweat replaced by the scent of lilies and lavender.

Callie and I looked at each other and I admit I questioned for a moment...

"Who are ya? and what have you done to whitey?" I asked half as a joke and yet part of me was legitimately concerned, I don't think I'd seen whitey like this in.... uhh... ever. 

"Very funny Maggie," He chuckled, "You ladies have a nice night," He nodded as he tipped his hat to his and carried on his way, 

Callie and I met eyes and both smiled a little, 

"Five Bucks says I know where he's going."

"Alright," She nodded hopping up my porch and taking a seat on the bench beside my chair, "And your bet is?"

"I'll hear yours first."

"...I think... He's heading to the office. Trying to convince Bill he's worth a promotion? or maybe Bill's just sick of his stank." She laughed,

"A good guess, good guess. I think, He's going to Y/n's." 

"He might be," she nodded, 

We egarly sat and watched Whitey as he headed across the town of course young Y/n Y/l/n's house was only just across from the Sheriff's office so as he approached we both sat on the edge of our seats but he climbed Y/n's porch,

"Told Ya,"

"Alright, alright you were night Mary Agnes. Just still surprised, to see Whitey get so dressed up."

"As am I, Boy rarely takes a damn bath If I'd known all it took was Y/n flashing her ankles at him I'd have slipped her a few bucks a week just to make sure the boy has a regular bath." 

"I think it's sweet,"

"Sweet?"

"Yeah," she nodded as we watched him knock on Y/n's door and she happily opened it, they greeted each other fondly with a kiss and he headed inside with her the door snapping shut behind them, "You have to admit it is kinda cute, seeing whitey so excited to please his little lady," 

"Callie... given your prior occupation you really think having a bath is all he's doing to please her?"

"I should hope he's doing much more, for y/n's sake." She chuckled, "We've all felt that sing of being utterly in love with a boy, you get him into bed and he's as much use as a silver petticoat,"

"True, I wouldn't know what to think Whitey knows..."

"Still I think it's sweet, Little Whitey all grown up and cleaned up for his date it's ever so sweet,"

"It is a little sweet seeing him all grown up," I nodded, "Another five bucks says he'll be out in forty minutes sweaty and trying to breathe," 

"thirty minutes."

"Deal," I laughed, so we each got another drink and chatted with each other until we spotted Y/n's door open and out came a very tired, sweaty Whitey only in his britches and shirt leaning on the porch for some air,

"Time?"

"Thirty-two minuets."

"Yeah!" she laughed,

"Alright alright you win," I laughed, "Good going Whitey," I raised my drink,

"Good Boy whitey," she laughed as we toasted, "Five bucks says she comes out to tug him back in?"

"I say two minutes he runs back in to her?"

"Deal," she smirked, so we did our best to watch without him knowing we were watching, as he got his breath and straightened up fixing his shirt, and rubbing his neck where a Hickie was already obvious, He stood and glanced back into Y/n's house,

"Ohhh he's thinking about it," I smirked, "Come on you know you want to Whitey,"

"No no come on Y/n we all know this ain't over after one session of thirty-two minutes,"

But we saw Y/n come out in her nightie wrap her arms around his neck and pull him into a kiss tugging him back into the house shutting the door again, 

"Yes! I win!"

"Alright, it was close though," 

"It was, it was that was a close one," I nodded,

"You remember being that... Loved up for your hubby?"

"Loved up?"

"Excited. egar. desperate for one another when you first got married?" 

"Yeah we were," I nodded, "it's the honeymoon phase all you wanna do is throw each other on the bed every five seconds when you first get married,"

"Even if they ain't married,"

"We all did stuff there age too."

"I know, there young let them have their fun,"

"We all know whitey'd Marry her if the preacher was here,"

"You think he would?"

"course he would," I laughed, "Damn Boy loves that girl..." 

"Yeah, She loves him too. They're a very cute little couple they love each other very much." She nodded, "Plus it would be sweet as hell to have some little ones running around here again,"

"Ohh God whitey's little ones..." I chuckled, "It's a little strange,"

"How so?"

"...To think, there not kids anymore." I told her, "I remember whitey being born, I remember Y/n arriving when she was knee high, I remember then two running around the streets playing bank robbers with the other kids,"

"whitey was always the hero," She laughed, "Y/n's was always his damsel to save,"

"I guess... In my mind, they're both still kids." I explained, "Funny to see them now, all grown up, so in love, and to think the streets could be filled with their own kids,"

"It is strange, but... I suppose that's just what happens when you get old."

"I ain't old."

"Maggie, we all are." she nodded, "Bills going blind, bar keep can't pour a shot straight, dalila's lost her marbles, we have to face it. We had our time in the sun, but the sun don't shine for us anymore"

"You're right, it doesn't." I nodded, 

"It shines for Trudy and for Luke, for Whitey and Y/n, and their little ones. World moves on from us all we can do is hope to hell we gave them enough to get them though it too." 

"Wise words," 

"I ain't just a whore ya know Maggie," 

"I know, you've always been way more then that. And you make a good school marme."

"I think I do alright for falling into it, Another five bucks says Y/n's gonna be preggo by next month,"

"...Deal" I chuckled,