「𝐎𝐍𝐄」the man on the radio

[season one, episode one]

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐃 𝐖𝐀𝐒 a scary place, Delilah Grimes, a bright eyed seven year old always tried to see the good in the world. . . that was until her father was shot and placed into a coma, that's when Delilah started to see how scary the world actually could be. And soon it got even scarier when the dead came back to life and took over the old world. That night. . . when Atlanta fell had to of been the scariest nights in Delilah's seven years and eight months of existence. She tightly clutched onto her oldest brother, Scott's neck, wanting nothing more than to be in her dad's arms—but. . . that would never happen—Rick Grimes was gone. He died with the old world.

Weeks had past, leaving behind all of civilization. Shane Walsh had managed to safely get what remained of the Grimes family to a rock quarry just outside of Atlanta. Others had the same idea and they all survived together. Delilah's older brother, Carl. . . was lucky enough to meet a girl named Sophia, who was the same age as him—they became quick friends—Delilah on the other hand wasn't as lucky. There were no other kids her age, not even Luis and Eliza Morales who were both either older than her or younger than her.

The Grimes girl didn't mind not having any friends, though. She did have her two most prized stuffed animals. “Frannie the frog” and “Biggie the Bunnie” they were enough for the young girl with a wild imagination.

Delilah sat with her two stuffed animals by the unlit firepit. She played with a “princess tea party set” that Glenn brought back for her a week ago. "More tea, Frannie Frog?" The girl asked holding the toy tea pot up that was filled with imaginary tea—of course the frog stayed silent—but Delilah took that as her cue to pour some “tea” into the small pink plastic cup.

"Broadcasting on emergency channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on highway eight-five. Anybody reads, please respond." A voice crackled from the C.B that sat a few feet from Delilah.

The young girl looked over and her eyes lightened up. The voice was familiar. "Daddy?" She whispered to herself as Amy ran over and yanked the transmitter up.

"I can hear you, you're coming through, over." Her voice fell upon deaf ears as the man kept repeating the same thing.

"Come on, son," Dale called for Shane. "You know best how to work this thing."

Shane left the firewood he had been chopping and snatched the transmitter from Amy. "Hello? Hello? Is the person who called still on the air?" Static screeched through the radio. "This is officer Shane Walsh, broadcasting to person unknown. Please respond." More static.

Shane shook his head. "He's gone."

"There are others." Lori spoke as she crouched down beside Delilah. "It's not just us."

Shane looked at her. "We knew there would be, right? It's why we left the C.B on."

"Lotta good it's doing." Scott scoffed, walking over to join the small group that had gathered around the C.B.

"I've been saying for a week we ought to put signs up on eighty-five to warn people away from the city." Lori piped in with raised brows.

"Folks got no idea what they're getting into." Amy agreed nodding her head.

"Well, we haven't had time." Shane shrugged as he stood up with a huff.

"I think we need to make time." Lori shot back, cocking a brow.

Shane rubbed his chin. "Yeah, that — that's a luxury we can't afford." He paused looking around. "We are surviving here. We are day-to-day. . . and who the hell would we send?"

"I'll go." Lori firmly said. "Give me a vehicle."

The Walsh man sighed. "Nobody goes anywhere alone, you know that."

"She wouldn't be alone." Scott said, moving to stand by his mother. "I'd be going with her.

Lori sighed, shaking her head. . . of course, she should've known that her eldest son would volunteer to go with her to be her “gaurd” but even then Shane was in no way on board with that idea either.

"No." He said, firmly shaking his head. "Absolutely not. Nobody goes."

"Yes sir." Lori stormed angrily. Carl was quick to follow but Shane stepped in front of him.

"Hey, hey, hey, go on, take a seat there by your lil' sister, bud. It's alright." He said before going after Lori himself.

Scott rolled his eyes, glaring at Shane as he left. He scoffed and squatted down by his younger siblings. After Rick died, Scott noticed that Shane was trying to fill in his spot. In the eldest Grimes boy's opinion, Shane had no right. . . no place to act as their father. Scott was more then capable of taking care of his mom and younger siblings, they didn't need Shane in the way Shane was trying to be there for them.

"How about some lunch?" Scott asked, reaching into his pocket. "I have a granola bar you two can share." He showed the two the bar.

Carl shook his head. "Del can have it." He shrugged. He had picked up on Scott skipping meals so he and his mom and Delilah could eat so after a while he started trying to do the same. . . while that of course didn't work when he'd try to give his mom and Scott his share, it did work when giving it to his little sister.

Scott signed and held the food out to Delilah. "Here, Flower." He handed it to her before freezing. Rick used to call her “Flower” no one had called her that since Rick was shot.

Carl looked at his sister, worried about her reaction. The little girl seemed unbothered as she broke the granola bar in half. "Here you go, bubba." She softly said, holding one half out to him.

The middle Grimes sibling slowly took it from her with a sigh. Scott smiled and stood up. "I'm gonna go see if Jim needs a hand with working on the rv. You two stay within sight, 'kay?"

"We will, Scott." Carl nodded and Scott ruffled his hair before walking off towards the rv.

𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑

1.13.24
8:50𝐏𝐌
1039𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒

not edited

𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄
it's only the first chapter and the Grimes siblings have my heart!