7

Adeline's POV

After my conversation with the queen there was one thing I was certain of: I had to get out of this toxic place.

Formulating a plan, I slipped out into the woods behind the palace. The guards didn't care. Most of them weren't even aware of who I was. Gabriel didn't want me out here, and if I recall, he told me not to wander around the castle alone. 

I couldn't stay trapped in the suffocating atmosphere of the castle. Everyone in there had a sickening persona.

My eyes darted around the greenery, trying to distract myself. I've never been surrounded by so many trees.

The trees spiraled out of the ground and reached high levels. Their intricate branches twisted and extended out. Dark green leaves sprouted from the tiny branches.

They reached across the vast land. The trees were endless.

I stepped over branches and roots as I made my way through the woods. The night sky was making itself known as bright, white stars twinkled in the sky.

I tripped and fell to the ground. I stayed still in my spot, tearing up from the pain.

A sob left my mouth as I thought about the destruction I caused a few nights ago.

I peeled my limbs of the ground, still crying. The queen's right.

I stepped deeper into the woods before turning around. It was dark outside, and the forest was now scaring me. The tall slender trees reminded me dark shadows.

There was a really bad feeling going through my head.

I heard the soft crunch of the ground as twigs snapped. I saw a shadow whiz through the trees.

I don't think I was the only one in the woods. I begin to run towards the castle.

I could hear feet; padding awfully too fast for my liking. I pushed my legs harder and faster, trying to escape whatever chasing me. My breathing increased, and small gasps of terror escaped my lips every now and then.

Abruptly, the wind was knocked out of me when I felt hands shove me to the ground. I skidded across the rough ground as a scream left my mouth.

I turned around to see who pushed me, but no one was there. I backed up in the ground, scared by the shadows.

"Adeline," I heard a mocking whisper.

"You've got to be more careful." A sinister laugh echoed throughout the woods.

I was pulled into someone's chest. I looked up, ready to scream, but I was surprised to see that it was just Gabriel. He held a finger up to his lips, telling me to be quiet. I felt a sense of relief wash over me, feeling safe with Gabriel by my side.

His eyes were a piercing red color as he scanned the surroundings for any threats.

"Stay away from her or you'll regret it," Gabriel's deep voice reverberated through the woods.

The sinister laugh echoed through the woods before disappearing.

Gabriel crouched down to my level as he scanned me for any serious injuries. There was a giant gash, on my forehead, pulsing out blood. I didn't realize I was injured until I saw my blood fall into my lap.

Gabriel's eyes darted to the blood on my forehead. He kept his gaze locked on it, and I swear, I saw his eyes flash red for at least an instant.

"What were you doing out here?" He asked, in a harsh tone.

"I was- I was- I don't know."

I was running away, but now that I have been caught, I didn't know how to answer him.

Gabriel punched the tree behind him, shaking it, before turning to help me up.

"You're not allowed out your room anymore." He declared.

"What? No!" I yelled.

"It's not safe for you be out here. You're not allowed anywhere past those four walls. If I catch you anywhere outside, I'm locking you in a cell."

Gabriel led me back to my room as I was reluctantly dragged along. He had his hand tightly wrapped around my wrist as he tugged me along.

"You're not setting a foot out of here." He declared, pushing me into my room.

I get that he's just trying to keep me safe, but he couldn't just lock me up like that!

"Watch me." I protested.

He looked at me skeptically.

"Don't test me." He warned.

I stepped out the room and stood in his face.

"I always keep my promises, darling."

He picked me up by my waist and threw me over his shoulder.

"Stop it! Where are you taking me?" I screamed as I pounded on his muscular back.

"The cells."

"No! Let go of me!" I screamed, thrashing violently.

"Can't do that, darling." He replied cooly.

I kept pounding on his back and squirming as he unlocked a cell door. He set me on the ground.

"You can't just leave me here!" I protested.

He ignored me, walking out of the cell.

Well, fuck.

He left her in a cell! What! No! Well, I guess this chapter got more into Addie and Gabriel's relationship. Hopefully Gabriel will get that stick out of his ass. If you're not interested I suggest you continue and read a bit more! Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

What do you guys think about Gabriel locking her in a cell?•