44

Adeline's POV

I fell to my knees in shock. My eyes widened and my lip began to tremble as I thought about my tiny, little babies. My eyes began to water.

My heart ached in pain. My hands were shaking. My hold body was trembling, and I was frozen. The worst thing I could ever imagine happening had just become reality. My babies were in danger.

"The twins," I cried, choking out a sob, tears streaming down my face.

Vivian gasped, understanding the situation.

"They can't hurt my babies."

I knew it was a bad idea. I knew it. I knew it. I goddamn knew it.

I felt like I lost everything in the world right now.

I repeated the word no over and over again. By this point I was insane.

The thought of losing them and never seeing them again haunted me. I barely got twenty-four hours with them. No, they can't take my precious, little munchkins.

To rip a mother away from her children is worse than any punishment in the world. A mother has such an unconditional love for her children, and to rip her away from them is pure, absolute torture. Who could be so cruel to do such a thing?

I sobbed, feeling Gabriel's arms wrap around me in a comforting embrace. I felt utterly defeated and tired with the chaos happening around me. I was tired of all this insanity. I just wanted to be happy. I wanted to be able to be with my newborn children and hold them. I didn't want to keep running, trying to hide from the people hunting us down. I was tired.

"They asked us to meet them in the woods by the river," he said, shakily.

I could hear the pain in Gabriel's voice. He was suffering too. It wasn't just my babies that were taken, they were his too.

To be left so helpless is crushing.

I lifted my head up from his chest to look into his icy, blue eyes. His eyes were red from rage, water built up along his waterline from how hard he was clenching his jaw. 

His rage fueled me and I could feel the golden color burning bright in my eye.

No one touches our children.

"We have to go now."

*~~*~~*

We reached the thick forest growth. Branches were entangled together as sunlight streamed through tiny openings in the canopy. It was still very bright outside, but it was nearing nightfall. 

I could feel it. My babies were here.

My connection to them was strong after carrying them in my womb for months.

The clouds darkened above us, awaiting the chaos that was about to take place, and the sunlight slowly began to disappear behind them.

My wings were spread out behind me, my eyes burning with rage. I was angry and scared over the thought of what they could've done to my my babies over the time they held them captive.

Gabriel, Eli, and Vivian stood beside me, mentally scanning their surroundings.

We were told to come alone. If we didn't obey their orders, they said they would hurt Jasper and Emberlee.