32

Cover By: @VanillaChocola
Adeline's POV

Gabriel's words resonated throughout the room like a large bang in the midst of silence.

One of them will die.

The harsh words felt like a knife was stabbed in my heart.

"W-What do you mean?" I asked, arching a brow and silently hoping to myself hoping that there was the slightest chance that what he just said wasn't true. He couldn't possibly be right. Just because they're twins doesn't mean that one of them will die. How does he kow anyways?

I kept on thinking of excuses for why what Gabriel said could be wrong. I was in denial. I was not letting any of my children die.

Gabriel remained silent, standing in the same position with his jaw and fists clenched tightly.

"Gabirel!" I said stepping closer. "Why won't you answer me?" I placed both of my hands on his shoulders and shook him harshly, trying to get him to speak up.

Why wont people just be frank and tell me the truth? Everyone has been dodging the truth today and trying to keep things.

Gabriel face was frozen, like he was in shock. He was deep in thought, with a stone cold face.

His silence allowed me to come up with the worst explanations I could think of in my mind. i tried to erase the negative thoughts and stick to the positive side. He's probably just joking, I told myself. But, clearly, something inside me was telling me otherwise, and that what he said was actually true.

It can't be true.

Tears began to stream down my face at the hysteria of losing one of my children.

"Gabriel, please answer me!" I sobbed. I clutched onto the fabric of his shirt to try to calm my anxiety down.

"Please tell me it's not true."

"I wish I could. But, I can't." He said, his words slapping me in the face with the harsh truth. He wasn't lying.

"It's royals. Royals can't have twins."

"What do you mean?" My voice broke. I was in denial. I refused to believe this.

I looked up at the ceiling.

"Lord, can this be a fucked up prank?" I felt a bit dizzy and faint from the panic overcoming me, so I moved back to the hospital bed and sat down. My body began to cover itself in chills.

"One of them usually dies at birth. The reason is, when it comes to heirs, there can only be one." Gabriel muttered.

Of course he was upset as well, if it wasn't obvious from the way he clenched his jaw and fists.

"In reality, this happens to prevent a lot more bloodshed that may come once the children are born." The doctor said referring to the fact that my children would have fought for the position to he king.

I just turned and glared at the doctor. After all the hassle he out me through, his words weren't helping the situation at all.

"Is there anything that can be done?" I asked, defeatedly.

"You can only hope, my queen." The doctor's voice was a little bit more softer toward me.

"After birth, we may be able to salvage the weaker one. But, it is won't be easy. Your blood may help with that. I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to stress you out about it. At the rate you're developing, there are only a few more months until you give birth, so anything could happen. As I've said before, I don't know what to expect of this pregnancy since there was only one instance in history where there was such pregnancy. The queen, Serafina, was the only other one. It's assumed her child died along with her in the attack." The doctor continued.