26

Adeline's POV

"You're pregnant."

I swear everything froze. I zoned out on the rest of Damien's blabbing, and focused on the situation on hand here.

I was fucking pregnant. How could he tell though? It only happened last night! Damien blabbed a bit about hoe although there were no physical symptoms of me being pregnant, there was behavioral symptoms. He swore that he was ninety percent sure I was pregnant.

I kneeled on the ground staring at the rotten cell wall.

"William, untie her ropes."

My brother made his way over to me and began working on untying the ropes. The ropes didn't affect him because he was a vampire. His body stiffened when he saw my burned wrists. As he moved the cloth around to untie the ropes, it hit my skin causing me to hiss. He peeled the ropes of both my hands, and I let them drop to the ground as I started panting.

Oh sweet, sweet relief; I could move my arms again.

"Pluck a feather off her wings." He ordered.

Willie stared at Damien for a second before walking behind me to pluck a feather. Good lord I sound like I'm a chicken because people are plucking feathers off him.

"No, what are you doing! Don't take my feathers."

I tried to move away from my brother. All of a sudden, something flew by my head, and when I glanced behind me at the wall, I saw the knife sticking out of it.

I gulped and turned back to Damien, trying to hide the fear, which was arising again.

He held up his finger and waved it side to side, threatening me with his silent gesture.

I chose against arguing with Damien and sat silent.

Willie continued to the wings which were still jutting out of my back. His fingers took ahold of one of the pure white feathers, and he tugged.

I could feel the sharp pinch in my back as he separated the feather from my wings.

Damien's phone rang. He picked it up and whatever the person on the other end of the phone said, made him really angry.

"Send it to the lab. I've got to go. Make sure you lock her back up." Damien said stoically before storming out the room frantically, with a slam of the door that caused me to shiver.

We were left in silence. Just me and my brother. My brother who betrayed me.

My brother turned back to me to try to tie the ropes back around my wrists.

He leaned in close and picked up the rope, and began to work it around my wrist.

"Why would you betray me Willie?"

I asked the question that's been lingering in my head since I first saw him enter the room. He was my brother. I grew up with his regular visits to the cottage, and he was one of the only people who would visit me. We spent our childhood, playing together, and it truly hurt that one of the people whom I trust the most would ever dare to hurt me, when I can't even handle the thought of the slightest bit of danger coming their way. Even now, after he betrayed me, I would do anything to protect him. He was my brother, after all.

"It's for the greater good. You'd help so many people."

"But, he killed our father!"

"Father was foolish to think that he could hide you from us! He would have lost anyways. He wouldn't have won anything. He wasted his time protecting you, but all along he didn't realize how he would be better off by giving you up. Think about all the benefits. By giving up your life, you're making the world a better place."

I scowled at my power hungry older brother. Willie pulled the ropes into tight knots, leaving painful burn marks as it hit my skin.

I embraced the sting of betrayal bitterly, hating the thought of my brother turning his back against me.

*~~*~~*

One Week Later

I was still in the dank cell, only I wasn't in the ropes anymore. The burning ropes were replaced with normal, metal chains, which didn't hurt my skin.

Damien was still treating me ad a prisoner, but it was noticeable that some of the changes he was making were to accommodate the life growing inside me.

Even though he didn't express it, it was evident that they cared the slightest bit about my well-being.

They came in daily, and they ran a few tests, took a few parts of me, all for the benefits of power that radiates in my blood.

I heard screams a second later and running. I could hear heavy footsteps approach my door, and in walked in one of Damien's men. He had a panicked expression of desperation as he tried to bolt in the room to get me. But, his plans were cut short with the swift movement of a pair of tan hands, which I knew all too well. He ended the man's life by breaking his neck and letting him fall limp to the ground.

I looked up at his delicate features through my droopy, hooded eyes. Behind him, in walked in another familiar face.

He rushed to my side, wrapping his arms around my tipsy frame, and he pulled the chains into his large hands, crushing the small chains. He hoisted my body off the ground, carrying me out. He was my only support at the moment.

I let myself drift off into a slumber in his arms, which gave me a sense of security because I was with him.

"Sshhh." He hushed, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

• So sorry I haven't updated in a while. I was just really stumped with my writing, so this chapter feels ugh to me. Also, I went to a wedding last weekend, so I never really had the time to update. I'll get some action in next chapter. Thank you for all the support guys! Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

What the hell will she tell Gabriel?•