33

Adeline's POV

I was standing on the baclony, gazing over the clear view of the kingdom.

I felt a warm pair of arms wrap around me, taking me by surprise. I gasped, feeling the tingles shooting through my spine. His touch eased all the anxiety and stress which I built up over the past months.

I felt him move his head into the crook of my neck, his warm breath fanning against my ear.

"Gabriel." I whispered.

"Just remember, I always keep my promises."

I turned to ask him what he was talking about, but we were interrupted by aguard bursting onto the balcony.

The guard stood there, panting as if he hurried up here. He breathed heavily and turned to look directly at us. Something was, indeed, very wrong.

"The castle is surrounded." He breathed.

"By who?" Gabriel asked.

I mean... I don't really blame him. We kind of had more than one enemy thanks to me.

There was Damien to deal with and Gabriel's cousin, Black, who was united with the people. Why was I born an angel? Everyone literally hates me.

"A couple of citizens are surrounding the castle. We assume they were the ones who led the attack earlier." The panting guard huffs.

"Number? What are they armed with?" Gabriel asks, getting annoyed with the fact that guard wasn't providing full details.

"There's roughly about a hundred citizens armed with a range of weapons. A few of them have guns and rifles, but it doesn't signify much since they are all vampire citizens."

"Get the rest of the guards out and try to keep the citizens out of the castle."

"Adeline, we are escaping." Gabriel said, turning to me.

I nodded. He shoed the guard away and took my hand in his, beginning to pull me through a passage of secret hallways into an unknown part of the castle. Even now, his warm hand caused a sensation to run up my fingers and into my arm. We twisted and turned through the various parts of the castle with me in tow. He suddenly stopped in front of a wooden door.

"Where did you just drag me to?"

"The stables."

"You want to run out there on horses when the castle is surrounded. Are you crazy? They're going to kill us!"

"The stable are at least a 200 yards away. Most of them are probably focused on the castle anyways. All we need to do is ride through the foliage, and you'll end up in some grasslands. Don't worry. I'll be right behind you."

He opened the door into the stable. There were at least a dozen horses there. Gabriel led me to a pure, white horse, while grabbing the reins of a pure, black horse as well.

"Are you sure this is going to work? What are we going to even do when we make it to the grasslands?" I said, while trying to climb onto my horse.

"It's all for your safety." He repeats.

"I need help." I sighed.

Gabriel raised an eyebrow.

"I can't-um. I can't get on the horse."

Gabriel glanced at the stool I was standing on. Agh, the smirk on his face.

"I'm 5 foot 3 inches and pregnant. I find tasks that may be easy for you difficult. Will you freaking help me on this horse?"

"Okay." Gabriel said, raising his arms in surrender.

"Thanks." I huffed, turning around and putting my hands on the horse, getting prepared to get on.

Gabriel's fingers brushed against my hip.

Oh lord.

His touch sent a pulse through my body, causing me to gasp, which of course, didn't go unheard by him.

Just his mere touch brought me to life.

"Slow down there, angel. You're enjoying this a bit to much."

I turned around and glared at him.

His hands placed themselves on my hips, helping hoist me up. I slipped my legs on the white horse.

Gabriel got on the black horse and began riding, telling me to follow him. I followed after him, through the trees.

Why does today have to be such a hectic day. In the morning I get attacked. Then I figure out bad news about my baby, and then finally, I have to escape the castle.

I looked back at the castle. It was completely surrounded by an angry mob. No one spotted us yet.

I'm not running away from my problems. Or galloping away.

I turned the horse around and made my way towards the people.

Gabriel turned his black horse around, following me.

"Adeline, what are you doing?" He whispered in a dangerously low tone.

"I'm going to talk to them."

"They want to kill you."

I ignored Gabriel.

I sped up my pace. In seconds, people began to notice Gabriel and I riding in on horses. The mob slowly shifted from the castle to surround us. I slowed down my horse, there was nowhere to go. The mob began closing in on me and all I could hear was the annoying chatter about how they were going to murder me. I didn't know how to shut them up and make them listen to me, so I screamed. The mob froze.

Everyone turned to see me sitting on the horse, huffing.

• God, that was an extremely short chapter, but you can deal with it. I'll try to update later this week, but it is a busy week for me. I'm on summer vacation now, so I'll have more free time to work on the book. I feel like this book is finally starting to reach a climax. Has anyone seen the Conjuring 2? I really want to see it. I found it online, but the quality is fuzzy, so I gave up. Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

Will Addie be able to say something that will change the minds of the people?•