45

Adeline's POV

My eyes snapped to Black as fury danced through them. If Black had a problem with me, he should keep my children out of it.

"Never will I give you what I want I spat."

My head was swirling with emotions. I quickly moved to Vern to undo her shackles as Gabriel fought Black.

Vern looked at me with a solemn expression.

"I'm sorry," she said, looking at me sincerely, "I failed to protect them.

"Vern," I breathed in the cold air, "it's not your fault."

Her eyes met mine, the guilt was visible in her eyes.

"Come with me." I commanded Vern as I stretched out my wings.

Vern grabbed onto me as I began to fly.

If Ray decided to run away with Jasper, he couldn't have gotten that far.

Flying over the forest gave me a perfect view of everything.

Scanning the grounds, I couldn't catch a glimpse of Ray or Jasper. They had to be here. My eyes trailed down the side of the river once more.

I smiled. He made it so easy.

There he was, escaping alongside the river, heading towards the castle.

Vern was still holding tightly onto me.

Determined, I flew towards them, just as they were approaching the castle. There was one thing my enemies didn't know yet.

They thought I was useless, unable to use my powers. But, I'm not so useless anymore. I was able to grasp so much in the span of a day.

I now have a weapon which my enemy is not accustomed with at my side.

Ray neared the castle, running up into the front courtyard. Taking this as my chance, I landed in front of them.

Vern let go of me stepping back.

Ray looked surprised, not quite comprehending how I managed to catch up with him.

Looking at my wings, he gasped in realization.

"You know how to use your abilities now." He stated the obvious.

I looked down into his arms, trying to spot Jasper.
The wailing baby was surely nestled in his arms. In his other hand was a gun.

"Give him back," I demanded.

Ray smiled maliciously.

"You know I don't really understand why this brat won't shut up," Ray said, referring to Jasper's wails.

Ray stilled, cocking his head towards me before tilting his eyes to look straight at mine.

"Maybe if I hit him, he'll shut the fuck up," Ray said before moving to slap my child across the face.

Jasper's wails intensified.

I felt something burn inside of me. My anger was pooling up inside me. I could feel myself red, shaking with anger.

Ray groaned, "He just won't stop!"

"You demon!" I seethed, hurling myself at him.

He threw Jasper into the air, sending him flying.

My eyes snapped to my child, my hand shooting up into the air.

A streak of gold flashed out of my hands. Before Jasper could hit the ground, the gold blanketed him, keeping him in the air as he violently thrashed around, wailing.