Chapter 29- Deciding the Fate

Caleb, Brian, and Tabitha were huddled together in intense conversation, their expressions grave as they discussed a plan to protect against the dangerous consequences of the mysterious book. As they debated the best course of action, Diya appeared at the bottom of the stairs, her footsteps light and carefree. Clueless to the gravity of the situation, she joined the group, her face wreathed in a smile.

"Hey, wasn't that guy who was passed out on the floor just a little while ago?" Diya inquired curiously. "What's he doing here now?"

Caleb felt a pang of sadness wash over him as soon as he heard Diya's words. His face shrank in disappointment and his heart sank with a heavy feeling. The weight of his heart sank as he realized that she had completely forgotten who he was. The pain of having someone he loved not recognize him was unbearable. It was a sad and heart-wrenching moment for him. Brian cleared his throat so loudly that Tabitha thought he was about to break into a song. Meanwhile, Tabitha scratched her head so vigorously that Brian thought she was experiencing a sudden itch attack. The living room suddenly turned into a musical and a comedy show, all at once!

Caleb summoned the courage to approach Diya and introduced himself by saying, "Hey, it's Caleb."

As Caleb mentioned the name, Diya's expression turned into a puzzled one, and she shook her head, indicating that she didn't recognize the person. Brian, who was observing the situation, felt unsure about whether to intervene or not. He was hesitant to interfere in the awkward situation between Caleb and Diya and didn't want to be the one to deny them the opportunity to resolve their issues.

Caleb quickly intervened to lighten the mood, explaining, "I am Caleb Baxter, your real estate manager. We were just introducing ourselves."

"I never intended to sell the mansion, Mr. Caleb Baxter. I don't even recall calling anyone regarding the sale of this property," Diya smiled confidently, nodding her head.

Caleb was surprised and struggled to speak, but he eventually managed to say, "If you need any assistance with maintenance around the house, I'd be happy to help."

As much as Diya valued his kind offer, she realized that she could manage on her own from now on. She was determined to uncover the secrets of the sprawling mansion, and she was convinced that her grandmother's diary was the key to solving the mystery. Unknown to her due to her temporary amnesia, there existed a mystical heirloom known as the Book of Shadows, and it was in the possession of Caleb. 

Diya walked up to Tabitha with a sense of urgency in her eyes. She leaned in and whispered, "Tabitha, I need to clarify something in Mr Manor's mansion. Can we go to his mansion right now?" 

Tabitha's curiosity was piqued, and she asked, "Right now? Is it that important?" 

With a small smile, Diya nodded in agreement, signaling the urgency of the matter at hand. Tabitha quickly informed Brian and Caleb that she would be leaving with Diya for a while, and they nodded understandingly before resuming their conversation in the living room. Tabitha then handed Diya the key to the grand mansion, and they walked out slowly, the door closing behind them with a soft click.

The cool breeze outside was intensified by the recent rainfall, causing Tabitha to feel a chill that she wished she had brought a jacket to fend off. Despite this, she didn't mind the 20-minute walk to Mr Manor's mansion from Emily's mansion. Walking was a welcome breather for her legs after the stormy events that had taken place in the extravagant mansion. The fresh air was also a refreshing change of pace from the stuffiness inside the mansion.

Diya, who was walking ahead of Tabitha, turned around and said, "Truth be told, I didn't really want to go to his mansion. I just wanted to leave without bumping into Brian or Caleb."

Tabitha was curious, "Why do you feel uncomfortable around them? Is there something that's bothering you?"

She said, "Who is this Caleb Baxter guy, and why is he discussing mansions with you all? Is there some secret plan afoot to overthrow my reign as the Queen of the Neighborhood?"

Tabitha realized Diya didn't remember what happened earlier, "Diya, do you remember anything that happened before you passed out today?"

Diya became worried, "Is there something important that I should know, Tabi?"

Tabitha tried to cheer her up, "Don't worry about it, Diya. You've had a long day. Why don't we get some ice cream and head back?"

As they strolled down the street, their eyes were drawn to a vibrant ice cream shop nestled in the corner. The two friends exchanged a quick glance and knew that they had to indulge in the sweet treat. Meanwhile, Caleb proposed the idea of burning the Book of Shadows to ashes. However, Brian couldn't help but wonder about the sinister intentions of whoever created the book. He was confused as to why someone would design something that could harm others just by opening it. The two of them were left standing there, contemplating the mystery before them.

"Brian, I think some things are better left alone," Caleb uttered.

"What do you mean, Caleb?" Brian asked in confusion.

"Well, the more you know, the more danger you could face," Caleb continued.

"But burning the book won't benefit Brianne, will it? Will it bring back her soul?" Brian asked him.

"I'm not sure, Brian. The Book of Shadows is a powerful heirloom, and it's not to be taken lightly," Caleb replied.

"But we have to do something. Brianne's soul is at stake here," Brian was desperate.

"I understand how you feel, Brian. But we need to approach this with caution. I have some knowledge about the book that I've been hesitant to share, but I think it's time I tell you," Caleb sighed as he spoke.

"There is more to this? Great! What is it, Caleb?" Brian sounded sarcastic. 

"The Book of Shadows can make wishes come true, but there is a catch. In exchange for granting the wish, the book requires a sacrifice to be made.

"A sacrifice? What kind of sacrifice?" Brian asked curiously.

"It could be anything, Brian. A life, a memory, a part of oneself. We don't know for sure," Caleb explained.

"That's a heavy price to pay," Brian uttered and then he jolted in shock. "Don't tell me Brianne knew about this and wished for something through this book?" 

"That would not be possible because as far as I know, no one knows what this book could do," Caleb uttered.

________________________________________________________________________________

💕Hey, I was wondering - what do you think they'll do with the Book of Shadows? Will they decide to get rid of it or hold onto it for future revelations? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on this!