Chapter 43- Shadows of Mockery

Diya, with the Book of Shadows, clutched tightly in her hands, cautiously made her way back to the mysterious chamber. As she took a step forward, a brilliant red circle suddenly appeared in the center of the room, emanating an otherworldly aura. To her surprise, the book flew out of her hands, as if guided by an unseen force, and landed perfectly amid the circle. 

As she looked closer, she realized that the same cat-skull and shroud cloth altar from the basement that she had encountered earlier had now manifested in the chamber. The air was thick with mystery and magic, and Diya could feel something powerful stirring within the chamber.

Diya seemed puzzled and confused as she wondered aloud, "The ritual was supposed to be performed in this hidden chamber, then why did I see the girls in the basement instead of this place?"

As she pondered, the little girl suddenly appeared beside her and spoke, "The bodies were shoved in the basement, Diya." 

Diya was already on the edge of her seat, and then out of nowhere, a girl appeared! Diya jumped so high that she almost hit the ceiling. The girl seemed to find the whole thing amusing and disappeared as quickly as she had appeared. Diya was left wondering if she had just seen a ghost or if she needed to cut back on the caffeine.

Despite the room's chilly temperature, an eerie and unsettling feeling emanated from within, seeping into Diya's bones and sending shivers down her spine. She couldn't shake off the feeling that something sinister was lurking in the shadows, watching her every move with malevolent intent. As she stood frozen in fear, the silence was broken only by the faint sound of creaking floorboards, as if someone - or something - was slowly approaching her from behind.

As they stood in the hidden and mysterious chamber that had suddenly appeared in the mansion, Caleb and Diya heard a creaking sound. They turned to see the huge oak door of the chamber slowly closing on them, trapping them inside. Caleb acted quickly, pulling Diya towards him to prevent her from being hit by the door.

Diya found herself lost in Caleb's hazel eyes, but she quickly regained her composure and released her grip on his strong arms.

"Listen, Caleb," she cleared her throat and continued, "This is where the ritual was performed, and the bodies were dumped in the basement."

"What the heck should we do now? I'm so confused!" Caleb was taken aback and felt bewildered.

Without any warning, the girl suddenly appeared in front of them again and said, "It's simple, Caleb Baxter. You need to perform the ritual."

Diya let out a frustrated sigh and said, "Don't just vanish after telling us what to do, you little squirt!"

The room was shrouded in an eerie silence as the girl's laughter echoed. Suddenly, she vanished into thin air once again, leaving Caleb and Diya standing alone in the middle of the room. He cautiously approached the bright red circle, his heart racing with anticipation. As he stood in front of the Book of Shadows on the cold marble floor, he felt an unexplainable sense of foreboding. The circle's vivid crimson glow began to shift, transforming into a haunting golden hue. Caleb couldn't help but feel a creeping sense of unease as he flipped open the ancient book's cover.

As the symbols and codes on the chamber walls started moving outwards like a 3D movie, Diya wondered if she was watching a sci-fi flick or a real-life mystery. Either way, she wasn't impressed. It was like watching a bad 3D movie without the glasses - all blurry and confusing.

Without warning, Caleb's body crumpled to the ground, and he knelt on the cold marble floor, his head hanging low. The cursed book was still clutched in his hand, his body was frozen in place. Diya wanted to move forward to help him, but the little girl stepped in front of him as if sensing something sinister in the air.