The Letter

Mazikeen closed the door to her room after. Sam sat down on the bed and looked at her, 

"So, you have a room here?"

"Yeah...I got a room as soon as I started working with Will,"

"Why?"

Mazikeen sighed and sat next to him, 

"I did get some time off every now and then...I didn't go home because I get bad nightmares as you know...and I stopped after that one incident,"

Sam sighed, 

"I don't blame-"

"I know you don't. But I do,"

Sam sighed, 

"Okay...so...do you like it here?"

Mazikeen smiled and nodded, 

"Yeah, it feels free here,"

Sam smiled, 

"I'm glad,"

They sat in comfortable silence until Sam grabbed the letter in his pocket, 

"I have something from dad for you,"

Mazikeen frowned in confusion, 

"From dad?"

Sam nodded and handed her the letter, 

"He wanted me to give you this,"

Mazikeen clutched the letter and Sam stood up, 

"I'll leave you to read it, I'll be just outside,"

Mazikeen nodded and as soon as he left, she opened the letter:

Dear Mazikeen,

I'm sorry. I have not realized how horrible these past six years have been for you, hell your entire life has not been great. I wish I realized how unhappy you were sooner, I did not notice your happy smile change until I thought about it harder. I should have tried harder to fight for you with your mother. I hope you know that I loved our father-daughter talks when you were younger and wanted to talk about all the inventions in your mind, all of the mechanics that you asked about. I wish I spent more time with you, I regret so much that I should have given you but didn't. I want you to know, that from now on, I will try my hardest. I will make sure your voice is heard from now on. I want you back in our lives as my daughter and not just Sam's older sister. I am so proud of you for all of your accomplishments, becoming Captain so young and being one of the best female soldiers that the army has seen. I love you, Mazikeen, and I always have.

I am writing this letter in hopes that you forgive me for being a bad father to you. I want to fix things between us, I want to get to know my only daughter. I want to know about your friends, your new family, and maybe if you are open to it, relationships. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but your mother and I have talked and I am fighting for you, I did in the past and I regret that I gave up. Your mother will be sad when she notices that you left with Sam, and I know that you will leave with him because he is a good man and he loves you. I don't know when you will wake up but my hope is that Sam will figure something out, that some sort of god will help you. Please come back to this house when you are ready.

I love you,

Dad

Mazikeen wiped a tear from her eye as she clutched the letter to her chest. She wished at that moment that she could have a second chance, a redo. She remembered that she spent the majority of her childhood in the garage building or with her father asking him questions. She missed it now so more than ever before.